Skip to main content

Sunny, Sunny Days

The whole Gang!  (Georgia and baby Jack were sleeping)
 
It seems like spring is finally here!  The days are getting longer, my neighbours have come out of hibernation, we packed away the last of our winter clothing and the bugs are back.  We've also been lucky this past week with the weather...it was almost like we skipped spring and went straight to summer.  I absolutely love the warmer weather but I'm a little bit of a worry wart when it comes to sun safety.  After being diagnosed with Melanoma nearly three years ago, I'm now very diligent when it comes to sun protection and my family...last weekend was an unfortunate exception.

Last Sunday my family and I spent nearly the entire day outside...playing baseball, cleaning the cars, riding bikes, visiting with friends and neighbours and we enjoyed our first barbeque of the season!  It really was the perfect day...however, that evening while bathing the kids, I noticed my son's neck was a little red.  It didn't make sense at first because we had covered him in sunblock earlier that day and he was fine everywhere else on his body.  The only explanation was that we had missed that one area when applying the cream.  I was quick to blame my husband because he was responsible that afternoon for applying the sunblock and when I asked him about it, he assured me that Hudson was covered.  Unfortunately, when I reapplied later that day, I only did his face and arms.  We were both at fault but I felt horrible...how could I let that happen?  By morning the redness had subsided and clearly it wasn't as bad as I had made myself believe. Regardless, the whole experience reminded me to get a little more organized and back on track in regards to sun protection!
 
First on my to do list was stock up on sunscreen!  We actually always have a good supply of sunscreen in our home because most of us use it daily...even in the winter.  I always wear sunscreen on my face, especially if I know I'm heading outdoors.  It's part of my daily morning routine and we've incorporated it into our children's routines as well.  We always have a few different brands to choose from - but I feel like I'm always on the lookout for something better.  I decided to ask some of my mommy friends what sunscreens they like best and here's what they said:
 
At the top of the list for sunscreens...
  1. thinkbaby - this is one I've used before and I absolutely love it!  Several of my friends spoke very highly of it as well.  The one thing I don't like is that you have to order it online (and through the summer months - it's always sold out!) - which is why I just stocked up on it!  Here is the link to where you can find it: https://well.ca/products/thinkbaby-safe-sunscreen_92711.html?cat=1933
  2. COOLA - this is one I love for myself.  It has the most amazing texture and makes your skin feel silky smooth!  I only use this one on my face and neck.  The best part for me is I can buy it locally.  Here's the link to where you can find it in Caledon: http://www.glamgoesgreen.com/.  If you're not from this area here is the direct link to their website: http://www.coolasuncare.com/ (they have a store locator on their site).
  3. CALIFORNIA BABY - this is one I've never used before, but two of my girlfriends swear by it.  For me, the biggest problem is shipping it in from the United States.  If you're a frequent traveler or have friends/family visiting - then you're set!  I'm looking forward to trying this one out next time we cross the border!
  4. Green Beaver - this is one I never seem to run out of!  A little goes a long way.  It goes on really well, but I find it leaves your skin looking pretty greasy.  That being said, I like it's natural factor and once again, I can buy it locally.  Here are a few links to where you can find it: http://naturally-bulk.foodpages.ca/, https://well.ca/products/green-beaver-natural-mineral_101553.html?cat=1933, http://greenbeaver.com/
  5. substance - this is a new one I found at the One of a Kind Show last Christmas and I just started using it this spring.  It's great if you like the "white" look.  I like it because I know it's doing the job (you can't miss a spot).  My kids are now accustomed to having a white looking face (from the zinc oxide) - and it does fade, but I typically don't use this one on my son when he's going to school...the other kids would probably wonder why he looked so funny.  I find it blends well with the Green Beaver brand and goes on more smoothly!  After doing a little research, I also found out that I only have to travel a short distance (Orangeville, Ontario) if I decide to buy it again.  Here is the link to their website: http://www.mattercompany.com/Collections/Outdoors/outdoors.html (It's under their mom and baby section).
  6. Arbonne - this is another one I've never tried, but two of my friends use their products (not just their sunscreen) and they both love the brand.  Here is the link to their website: http://www.arbonne.com/pws/homeoffice/tabs/home.aspx.  Unfortunately they have a flat rate shipping fee when placing an order in Canada.  May be worth a try considering they have several products to choose from!
  7. Aveeno Baby (sensitive skin mineral sunscreen) - this is another brand I use in our home.  It's not as natural as the other products, but it's one I still like to use.  It's a mineral sunscreen which is why I like it better than other drugstore brands.  Mineral sunscreens use active mineral ingredients, such as zinc oxide and titanium oxide, rather than chemicals. They reflect the sun’s rays like a mirror to protect exposed skin.  I also like how well it absorbs into the skin. The price point is good and it's readily available - you can pretty much count on being able to buy it at any local drugstore across Canada.
Regardless of which brand you choose, the best protection is staying out of the sun - but let's be honest...that's not realistic for most families.  My hubby and I love the outdoors and being outside is something we encourage our children to do everyday, rain or shine.  Clothing that offers full coverage is definitely a must for our children...hats with a full brim, rashguards for swimming and lightweight long sleeve tops.  Thanks to one of my girlfriends I just purchased these shirts for my oldest son and daughter this week.  Here is the link: http://www.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?cid=1031428&vid=1&pid=116982003 (they don't make one with a hood for girls so I bought two white ones).  I'm hoping they're light enough that they can wear them and not get too hot.  I'm also very excited to wear my new bathing suit this summer.  It's actually a full piece with sleeves!  Full sun coverage, but still very sporty and feminine!
 
lululemon
 
 
Here are some of the photos from last weekend...you gotta love those sunny, sunny days!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Wishing you a sun-safe weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g