Skip to main content

Puppy Love

We adopted our giant fur ball when he was only 8 months old.  Weighing in at just under 60 pounds and full of energy...he was the best addition to our little home.  At the time, Jordan and I weren't even married.  Getting a dog seemed like the perfect next step in our relationship...however, adopting Cody also seemed to get the ball rolling on other things!  Within days we were engaged and three weeks later we found out I was pregnant - life was about to get really exciting!  But through it all, Cody was given the best life we could give him.  Fast forward 5 years, we now have 3 kids, a happy marriage and a 90 pound goldendoodle who really is the greatest dog I've ever met.  Sure, I'm a little biased, but what dog owner isn't? 
 
Looking back he was my number one running buddy, best friend to our oldest son, my husband's favourite sidekick - and he had the best spot on our bed! ...right in the middle!  I find it so hard to say and even harder to write...but things changed - for me that is.  I definitely got caught up trying to be the best mom to three kids.  In the process, I forgot what it meant to be Cody's mom too.  It's ironic, because I think part of being a good parent means teaching your children to appreciate all living things.  Having a pet gives you that perfect opportunity...but in recent months I wasn't living up to the task.
 
Last month I watched my two year old daughter Georgia, yell at our dog Cody because he came into her bedroom.  I was speechless...I couldn't even talk to her about it.  Instead, I grabbed the first book I could find and went on with our usual bedtime routine.  I went to bed that night feeling as though I had completely failed as a parent - at least in the area of raising pets.  I knew Georgia's actions were a learned behaviour and even worse...I was the teacher.  Life at home with 3 little kids had become hectic, crazy at times, tiring and sometimes stressful.  I think in my efforts to maintain a certain level of balance - I had forgotten to pay attention to our dog Cody.  Even worse, I had learned to take out my frustrations on him - now my children were modeling this same behaviour.  Cody came into our lives 5 years ago and gave us some of the best moments we've had together as a family...it was time I made some positive changes and reminded my family how much I really cared for him.

Here are some of the things my hubby and I have started doing in order to remind Cody (and our kids) how important he is to our family:
  • Cody broke his back leg last spring just weeks before baby Jack was born.  After months of rehabilitation, and several setbacks, he finally started to show signs of a full recovery.  While he may never run long distances again, he loves to get outside and chase his tennis ball up and down our court.  We now try to get him out as often as we can.  When I'm on my own with kids...we often play in the backyard so that I can keep an eye on all 4 of them!
  • Every weekend we now plan a long family walk to one of the local parks or trails and Cody joins us every time!  He even came tobogganing with us last month!
    Yup - they went down the hill together!
  • Every couple of weeks Georgia and I bake dog biscuits for Cody.  We started this at Christmas and he loves all the new flavours we've come up with!
  • We've started giving Hudson and Georgia simple responsibilities when it comes to Cody...Hudson always helps with letting Cody in and out and does his best to wipe his paws.  Georgia loves helping daddy clean up the yard.  She walks around out back with her shovel and bag, pointing to everything she sees - she makes daddy pick it up though!
  • We never leave the house now without giving Cody a big hug!  I always used to tell him where I was going and when I would be back...I've recently started doing this again.
  • We now encourage Cody to join us for story time - which means he gets to jump up on all the beds!
Since we've started implementing these positive changes and re-introducing activities we used to do with Cody - we've witnessed some of the best moments between Cody and all three of our kids.  I always knew in my heart what a wonderful dog I had...but seeing him happily interact with our family and love every minute of it brings such a smile to my face.  Seeing them together acts as a constant reminder of the kind of dog owner I want to be.  Moving forward, I know our lives will continue to be hectic...but Cody will always be an important part of our family - and we'll continue to remind him of that - every chance we get!
 
Photos from our family walk last weekend! ...It was sooooo cold!
 
Taking the lead!
 
The Whole Gang!
 
Mommy and baby Jack.
 
I got the ball dad!
 
Probably his favourite human.
 
Selfie!
 
Besties!
 
Break Time...on the neighbours front lawn!
 
Walking himself home!
 
Home at last!


Have a wonderful weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g