Skip to main content

Documenting Your Baby's First Year

Baby Jack - On his "0" birthday

I can honestly say...this has been the fastest year of my life!  I mean where does the time go??  That quote, "the days are long but the years are short" - it couldn't be more true.  Time certainly does fly by, which is why I decided to focus this week's blog on how and why you should take the time to document your baby's first year.  With a little over 3 weeks until Jack's big day, I thought it would be fitting to look at different options for documenting all those special moments during their first year.  I'll also share some of the ways I've chosen to capture those memories

If I asked my mother how she documented my first year she would pull out one of those old photo albums where all the pictures were stuck to the page and covered with a protective clear plastic.  Her sweet messages were hand written with love and all the photos were dated with point form notes (paying tribute to all of my firsts).  Anything else was carefully recorded and organized in a yellow duotang - monthly weigh -ins,  health info etc...  Times have certainly changed.  I'm pretty sure I can count on both hands the number of people who have seen my baby book.  Nowadays documenting your child's first year can be seen by hundreds (maybe even thousands) of people depending on how many forms of social media you choose to use.  As a result, moms and dads are getting really creative with how they choose to document all those special milestones - which I love seeing!  I'm always so inspired by how others share their little ones achievements...and I'm especially quick to post photos and updates on my own children.  But who is it really for???  I mean are they ever going to look at it?  Maybe, maybe not.  What if 30 years from now Facebook doesn't exist?  Relax...I'm sure it will be -ha!  Regardless, I think the most important thing to consider when documenting your baby's first year, is creating something you'll be proud to pass on to them someday.  Whatever it is, photos, written letters, a journal...be sure to keep a hard copy.  Something tangible that can be passed on for generations to enjoy.

I actually found myself on Pinterest several times this past week trying to pull together what I believe are some of the most creative ways for documenting baby's first year.  It was a little overwhelming at first because I thought to myself - did I do enough?? ...there were so many great ideas!  And the best part - you can take any of them and make it uniquely yours.  Here are some of my favourites, as well as some personal examples (and a few tips!)...

A BABY SCRAPBOOK
A personal favourite of mine because I love scrapbooking!  Not so much now that I have 3 kids - back when it was just Hudson, I was so organized and up to date with his scrapbook.  I worked on it throughout the year and finished it in time for his first birthday (no stress) - than Georgia came along.  I started hers 4 weeks before her 1st birthday, spent about 5 hours each night working on it (and most afternoons while they napped) - and managed to finish it 3 days before her party...just enough time to catch up on some sleep!  With Jack's birthday just around the corner, the thought of all those late nights spent scrapbooking, while desperately trying to finish on time - is rather intimidating!  The truth is my kids have only now just started looking at their books, but I know someday the hundreds of hours I spent making them (not to mention the hundreds of dollars) will be all worthwhile.  Time consuming and expensive but worth the effort (If you're only having 1 kid haha).




A PHOTOBOOK
Perhaps a slightly more modern method of displaying photos and sharing written memories.  Nowadays there are several great online sites for building and creating your own photo book.  This may have been a more preferable choice considering I now have to make 3 of them!  Definitely still time consuming (I know because I made our wedding photo book online) but less mess to clean up - compared to scrapbooking!  You can save all your work online and return to it whenever time permits.  Photo books can cost a small fortune depending on the size and number of pages you choose but the quality is very good and likely to last a long time.  Learning to navigate the various programs can be frustrating at first but once you become familiar with all the functions - creating your book is generally a smooth process.  I've used the following sites for creating photo books (hint: sign up for their emails and wait for their sales!):  https://www.shutterfly.com/ and http://www.blurb.ca/


A MEMORY BOX
I love this idea (although I've never made one)...I was at my girlfriends house last week and she was showing me the memory box she had created for her wedding - I've recently seen a few people do this lately including my sister-in-law.  What a great way to display various items that would otherwise be stored a away (and never looked at, as are mine -ha!).  Then my girlfriend pulled out her latest project...a memory box for her 1 year old daughter Ella - and she had found the most beautiful box to put everything in (it's in the shape of a little house).  I loved it!  Something she can give her daughter someday, but also something she can hang on the wall now for everyone to enjoy!  She wasn't quite finished, but I'm really excited to see the finished product.  Here are two examples:
Jackson!  (not our little guy though)

Very similar to the memory box my girlfriend is using.

OTHER WALL DECOR IDEAS
I just love some of these images I found online...because you can enjoy them everyday.  Unlike a memory book that you will most likely store away in order to protect it - these photos and collages can be hung on your wall for everyone in your home to enjoy!  Both Hudson and Georgia were given baby frames that display their monthly first year photos and I actually took the time to put in all the pictures!
So cute!  You could use photographs of your kids as well (instead of a memory box)

Almost like a scrapbook...but not so time consuming!

I love this!  They grow so quickly...it nice to have photos such as these to look back on. 
 
Georgia's First Year!  (These are the photos we included in her frame)

 
A BABY QUILT
I love the idea of making quilts and I've always wanted to get one made (actually using all my race shirts) - but how cute is this??  I know when the time comes it's going to be difficult getting rid of things, so what a great way to keep some of those memories in your home.  I can just see myself wrapped in a quilt made from my kid's clothes and they're off at University...I think I'll have to make one!
Popular name I guess!

MONTHLY PHOTOS

With the rise in social media over the past decade...it's pretty clear why this method has become so popular.  I mean what proud parent doesn't want to share their child's monthly milestones with friends and family (and the world - let's be honest, it is the internet).  Regardless, many of us do and I'm certainly one of them.  I love the creative aspect of these photos - the ideas really are endless!
I love the comparison against mommy's belly!

Using the same object in each photo is great for showing their growth over the course of the year.  Using helium balloons to represent each month is another fun idea...if you don't mind buying them every month!

Monthly or Weekly stickers...I couldn't imagine taking a photo every week!  Once a month was hard enough.
 
I love this idea for a first birthday celebration!
 
"Time Flies" - that will be the theme at Jack's first birthday next month.  As I begin preparations for his big day I'm also setting aside some time to put together a special gift for him.  I've been keeping a "photo diary" of this past year and documenting all of his monthly milestones on a small chalkboard I found at the dollar store.  Each month I've shared the photos with family and friends through social media...but I'm also planning to make something I can give him on his first birthday.
 
Regardless of what method you choose be sure to consider the following:
  • Take the time to write things down, whether that be in a little journal, on a calendar, in a file stored away...looking back over an entire year and trying to remember everything can be quite the challenge!  Having a hard copy to refer to will definitely come in handy if you plan on making a baby book or scrapbook. 
  • Don't get carried away trying to do everything, choose one way to document things and stick with it!
  • Also, consider what method you choose if you plan on having more kids.  Finding time to create something for your first born is a lot easier.  I'll never forget my girlfriend telling me her baby book was given to her half finished - she was the 3rd born...I guess her mom was a little busy!
  • Remember to have fun in the process - don't stress!  I was about 1 week behind with every monthly photo I took of baby Jack this past year - and that's ok.  At least I was consistently late -ha!
  • I also learned that it is fun to switch things up a little.  You don't always have to do the same thing for each child.  They're all unique so when choosing how to document their first year - find something that works for the both of you!
Baby Jack - 11 Months...almost there big guy!

Have a great Weekend!


 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g