Skip to main content

Adorable Hairstyles for any little girl...

Georgie's Home Hair Salon

I've been planning this blog for a little while because I wanted to share as many hairstyles as my little girl would allow.  It's only been in the last few months that she's actually given me the opportunity to experiment a little and try some new styles.  It's now more common to have days where she enjoys sitting on the counter in her washroom, reading her books and allowing me to do her hair - of course we still have those other days where all she wants is her "Anna braids" (you'll see those later)...and nothing else is acceptable!  But for the most part, she loves seeing the finished product...and now she makes special requests!  I love our time together doing her hair because it's usually just the two of us (I usually get her dressed while baby Jack has his morning nap).  We talk about our plans for the day, we read books to each other and we always make silly faces in the mirror!

Before I share some of our latest styles, here's a little background info on how we take care of her hair...
  • My hubby always bathes the kiddies at night after dinner and playtime - we only wash her hair about once a week, especially during the dryer winter months.
  • We use the most natural products we can find and try to buy them on sale!  Here are the links to some of the shampoos/body washes that we love!  1.https://well.ca/products/dr-bronners-organic-pure-castile_9719.html, 2.https://amelieandmax.ca/collections/beauty/products/barenaked-baby-doll-unscented-2-in-1-foam-12oz-wash-with-water, 3.http://www.realpurity.com/family/natural-gentle-baby-shampoo.html - So often the products I want come from the United States...but luckily I have friends and family who don't mind picking things up for me when they're traveling!
  • We usually let her hair air dry - but some nights she loves when mommy or daddy use the hair dryer!  It makes her feel all warm and cozy...my oldest son loves it too!
  • We always take any hair elastics or clips out of her hair before she goes to sleep at night - and that's always mommy's job because daddy's fingers are too big to get around the little elastics mommy likes to use.
  • We've only recently started using better elastics because finally her hair will hold them.  I still love the little rubber ones, but you have to be extremely careful when removing them because they can damage hair very easily.
  • The BIG question...have we cut her hair?  YES!  When she was 11 months old we had the back trimmed and since then it's grown in evenly and quickly!  We've never cut her bangs but there were times when I desperately wanted to because they kept falling in her face!  If you can get through that stage - I would highly recommend letting them grow out, rather than cutting them all the time.  Unless of course you prefer bangs.
    She loves organizing her hair accessories!
Now for the fun part...I've chosen Georgia's Top 10 Favourite Hairstyles and we've given each one a special name.  She actually knows them all!  Much of my inspiration for each style has come from various Disney characters, as well as from my own childhood.  I've always loved the artistic aspect of doing hair, and now I have a little girl of my own!  I'll take every chance she'll give me to spend time with her and get creative!  Here they are...
 
Your Classic "Pigtails"
This has always been our go-to hairstyle for as long as I could gather enough hair and put it into two elastics.  For months it was the only style I could do with her hair...but I love it!  It's such a  classic hairstyle and easy to do! - even daddy can manage this one!
Her first "pigtails"

 
The "Anna Braids" with a fishtail twist!
These look great with a simple 3 strand braid as well but I find the fishtail braid holds better in fine hair!
 
The "Ballerina Bun"
This style became popular with her because I love wearing my own hair up in bun!  I also started introducing her to various books about dancers and ballerinas...I'm hoping she'll want to try dance lessons when she's a little older - fingers crossed!

 
The "Princess Crown"
I was so excited when she allowed me to do this style because it takes quite a while to do...I practiced on myself several times in order to master it before moving on to my not so patient toddler!  I just kept reminding her that it would look like a crown when I was done.  Now she loves it...she even allowed me to add a few light curls!  Here's a link to how it's done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPw1gtBPDng

 
The "Princess Leia"
This look was created because of her older brother's recent interest in STAR WARS!  Of course she has learned to love STAR WARS too but guess who her favourite character is??!

 
"The Elsa Braid" - using a Dutch Braid
This is simply a reverse French braid.  Once you've learned the basics of French braiding - reversing the styles can add a whole new look to your repertoire!

 
The "Minnie Mouse" Bow
She loves this one!  Minnie is one of her favourite Disney characters!

 
Double Sided "French Braids"
Still one of my own favourite hairstyles!  I love that I can do them in her hair now too!

 
The "Ponytail Tuck" with side French Braids
Her hair is still a little short for this style...it was tricky trying to pull her hair through at the end.
 
The "Cindy Lou Who" Braids from How The Grinch Stole Christmas!
When her hair is a little longer...I'll be able to get really creative with this style!  I'm thinking a possible Halloween costume - there's definitely a resemblance!


 
 
I hope you enjoy trying some of these styles with your little ones!  I'm always looking for new ideas, so please feel free to share any of your favourites! 
 
For more inspiration, be sure to check out https://www.pinterest.com/!
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g