Skip to main content

This is 3!



A few weeks ago our little guy turned 3.  He celebrated with two parties, one with his family and one with his friends - and of course all of their siblings.  We requested that at least one parent stay in order to help with supervision.  Although we did limit the number of people he could invite we ended up having quite a few guests, but thankfully the weather held out and we spent almost the entire afternoon outside.  We actually had very little clean-up in the toy department because the kiddies kept busy jumping on the trampoline and running around the backyard.  It was such a fun day for our little superhero Jack...he still talks non-stop about the celebration.

Here's a little breakdown of how the day went:

Inspiration
Almost everything I created for his party was inspired from images on Pinterest.

Theme
Jack chose a Spiderman theme this year.  For weeks he was going back and forth between LEGO, Paw Patrol and Spiderman.  Finally with a little convincing we got him to stick to one.  I actually went and bought him a Spiderman costume from Party City - that helped a lot.  What 3 year old little boy doesn't want to be a superhero?  Then I asked our neighbour who runs her own photography business to take some photos of Jack in his full costume.  In the past she had shown me a few pictures she had taken of her own kids dressed as various superheros and princesses.  She then had them developed to a poster size print, framed them and put them up for her kids to enjoy.  I loved the idea so much that I wanted to re-create a similar image of Jack.  He had so much fun at the photo shoot!  When he was finished he asked if he could be Batman too!  The finished product was exactly what I was hoping for.  I framed the picture in time for his party, but I still haven't put it in his room...right now it's sitting on our mantle in the family room.  That's how much we love it. 


This is the one we framed.

https://www.kay.photography/


Cake
I made a cake and cupcakes for his birthday.  One thing we did differently this year was save the cake for our family celebration.  I served cupcakes at the party with all of his friends and found that it was much easier and a lot less clean-up.  I made Jack a special cupcake with his name and candles on top.




Decor
I purchased everything from local Dollar Stores.  We even used the wooden photo display my hubby made for my grandpa's 100th birthday celebration.  We hung photos of Jack from the time he was born until more recent.  It's always fun to look back over the memories.


Goody Bags
I made the gift bags in theme with the party.  Every guest was given bubbles, a glow sword or magic wand and a Spiderman cookie.  I spent a total of $25 on the goody bags and made about 15 of them.  This didn't include the cost of making the cookies.


Food
We hosted the party in the afternoon which meant we didn't have to serve a meal and we saved quite a bit of money doing so.  Instead we provided lots of healthy snack options and tons of sweets!



Surprise Guest
I really wanted to surprise Jack and have Spiderman arrive at his party.  We looked at several different options including asking friends to dress-up...it's funny, not many people want to put on spandex and jump around with a bunch of toddlers for an hour haha.  Eventually I found a 12 year old boy who has known Jack for about year now.  We met him through some of the extra-curricular activities we're involved in.  At first it didn't even occur to me and then suddenly I realized how perfect he would be...he's always loved hanging out with my kids and he's never hesitated to lend a helping hand.  I ran the idea past his mom and she gave me the ok to ask him.  He was really excited and he certainly went above and beyond on the day of the actual party.  He even brought Jack a Spiderman shirt that said Happy Birthday and signed it from Spiderman...it was super cute.  We did have to purchase his costume and we paid him for his time at the party but all in all it was a lot cheaper than hiring a professional.







Family Time

After all was said and done my hubby and I were very pleased with the turnout.  It was another successful party and the Minderlein home.  We can hardly wait to do it again next week and then again in about a month.  It's party cental over here ha!

Have a great weekend everyone!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g