Skip to main content

Mother's Day Weekend



I hope everyone enjoyed a wonderful Mother's Day weekend!  Ours was jam packed...birthday parties, family time, dinners out and lots of outdoor play.  The weather was perfect, warm and sunny!  My hubby had a long list of things he wanted to get done around the house but needless to say, nothing got done - we were so busy!  Normally we spend our Sundays at least trying to get ready for the week ahead but yesterday was a complete write-off.  Our house is an absolute mess right now and I should probably be cleaning it but instead I'm writing.  I've been having some issues with our Internet - which is why it's been almost 2 weeks since my last blog.  I'm still not really sure what the issue is...but it seems to be working right now which is why I'm typing and not cleaning ha!  

We were lucky enough to celebrate Mother's Day with both our moms (Grandma and Nana).  We had a picnic lunch with one and dinner out with the other.  My own kiddies made me strawberry pancakes and showered me with cards and presents from school.  They actually continued to make me cards all day...and night.  It was really super cute.  

Together we made gifts for Grandma and Nana.  We also had 2 gifts made by a local artist that I happened to come across at the very last minute.  I was on Facebook late Saturday evening and found a woman who makes wood signs using stencils she has created herself.  She posted images of some of her work and one of the signs really stood out to me.  I messaged her and she responded immediately.  I ordered 2 of them and they were ready for pick-up before noon on Mother's Day.  Talk about great service.  I'm excited to order some other things from her in the near future!  Here is the link to her Facebook page: 

As for our homemade gifts, I bought chocolate that we melted down to create our own words and shapes.  The kids were a big help, especially when it came time to clean the bowl.  The nice thing about making these is you can create any theme, add any toppers and the best part is, they are inexpensive and relatively quick and easy to make.  I included some tips down below with the photos.


"Healthy" Dark Chocolate Hearts and (other fun shapes)

Everything you need...I bought the chocolate form a local bulk store.  Don't use chocolate chips (you can if you have to but the chocolate wafers are so creamy and easy to use - I used Wilton but other brands work well too).  You need a piping bag and icing tips if you plan to do anything decorative.  Cookie sheets and parchment paper to make the chocolates on.  A spoon for mixing.  And toppers!  I used a "healthier" option but I think it depends on whose going to be eating them.

 If possible use a double burner and avoid the microwave.  I don't have one so I made my own and it worked perfectly.  Allow 2-3 inches of water to come to a boil down below, then cover with a bowl that fits properly and turn the heat down to a simmer.  Then slowly add the chocolate wafers, while continually mixing.  Once all the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth, remove the bowl from the stove and let it cool a few minutes before adding the chocolate to the piping bag.  If it's too hot, you won't be able to hold the bag.

 The topper!  We used a healthier option this time.

 Probably the best part!  Cleaning (eating) the bowl haha

The finished product!  They dry in less than 30 minutes and they taste so good!  I keep mine refrigerated but they will keep their shape at room temperature, as long as it doesn't get too hot.

Mother's Day










Have a great week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g