Skip to main content

My Long Weekend at the Lake

"Memories made at the lake last a lifetime"
One thing is for sure...long weekends since having kids have definitely changed.  Rather than packing up the car and heading north for the weekend, my hubby and I now look forward to staying home.  Life with four kids keeps us on the go 7 days a week, so when you're given a holiday Monday with nowhere to go you learn to appreciate it and take advantage of it.

But this year was a little different, very unexpected, surprisingly pleasant and perfectly timed...it all started with my daughter's dance competition at the Deerhurst Resort in Huntsville, Ontario.  It was honestly the last thing I wanted to do on a long weekend (I had so much to do at home), but we had no choice.  Her team had to be dressed and ready for 2pm on Saturday afternoon, so the two of us headed north first thing Saturday morning while my mother-in-law and hubby held down the fort at home.  Thankfully the 400 northbound was smooth sailing the entire way.  We were making such good time.  We literally had hours before the competition and nothing to do, which gave me the craziest idea.  I decided to call some old friends whom I hadn't seen in over 15 years.  Unfortunately they didn't pick up, but not long after my first attempt I tried calling again and within minutes my phone was ringing as they were trying to return my call.  I was so excited to hear their voices and engage in conversation, but I also wasn't interested in wasting any time...I basically invited myself to their cottage and they happily accepted.  So after a quick stop at the Muskoka Store we were en route.  Little did I know in that moment how important the next 24 hours would be.

We arrived before lunch and spent our first hour together catching up...it's funny how social media can make you feel like you've never really been apart but seeing them in person allowed us to truly reconnect and reminisce.  Before I knew it, it was time to start getting Georgia dressed and ready.  My friends also had a full day of plans in store, but thankfully they allowed us to stay and use their place.  As we went our separate ways we said our goodbyes and although I wanted so much to stay and enjoy the day with them, I knew we had somewhere important to be.

The rest of the afternoon went exactly as planned.  Georgia's dance team competed in their fourth and final competition with another 1st Place Overall finish.  It was exciting to see them end on such a positive note.  They had all come such a long way since beginning their training together in mid-August.  To see them on stage for their final competition was definitely a moment I'll never forget.  To celebrate we had made reservations at one of the restaurants in Huntsville for 60 people!  It was an enjoyable evening with good food so many great families.  Georgia didn't want the fun to end and I didn't either.  As we were finishing up our meals she asked me if we could go back to my friends's cottage and stay for the night - without hesitation I said yes.  After a quick phone call home to check in and some last minute stops to pick up a few necessities, we hopped back into the car and made our way back to lake for a truly memorable evening.

The drive wasn't very long but the rain had started and I remember feeling relieved that I didn't have to make the two hour commute home.  Just before we arrived, something suddenly compelled me to make one final stop.  Perhaps it was song playing on the radio, or the sound of the rain on the roof of my car.  It's funny how certain things can trigger your memory...regardless I knew it had to be now, otherwise it would most likely be months or even years before the opportunity would present itself again.

When we pulled into the driveway of the property, my daughter instantly looked up from the movie she was watching and warned me to not go any further.  The entrance had a large chain reaching from one side to the other and in the middle was a sign that said DO NOT TRESPASS.  Well I knew my daughter couldn't read so obviously she had seen too many scary movies, either way she refused to come with me, but in all honesty I think she was also quite content staying in the car and watching My Little Pony.  Although I would have preferred her company I wasn't prepared to argue and it was almost dark so I didn't have much time.  I closed her door and carefully made my way across the entrance.  At that same moment the neighbours had turned their vehicle on and were about to back out of their driveway.  I ran back, flagged them down and immediately told them who I was.  They insisted that the owner of the property I wanted to see wasn't there and that I was welcome to take a quick look.  I felt a sudden sense of comfort and familiarity...and at least now I knew there was no chance I was going to be arrested (or attacked by some crazy dog!).  At that point my daughter had a change of heart and decided to join me, and together we walked down towards the cottage. 

There is was, just as I had remembered.  Despite years of allowing the property to become run down, I was able to see beyond the wreckage, the weeds, the broken window and the deserted cabins...there in front of me lay a part of my past I had long left behind.  I probably would have stood there crying if it hadn't been for my partner in crime who suddenly announced she had to go to the washroom.  So of course that was my cue to take one final glance and a picture.  Luckily I had my phone in my pocket.  I pulled it out, snapped a quick shot, then we both raced back to car.  All I remember thinking is please Georgia...just hold it in.

Within minutes we had returned to my friend's cottage.  All was well, Georgia settled in quickly and became friends with all the kids who were there.  I was able to relax a little and finally we were able to pick up where we had left off years ago...and then for a brief moment it was as though nothing had changed.  It was then I remembered how much I loved being at the lake and I couldn't believe it had taken me this long to return.  As we stood around reminiscing of the good old days, I decided I had one thing left to do before returning home the following day - but it was going to require a little help and a screwdriver.

My mission was soon accomplished.  What I took away was worth more than I ever could have imagined.  Morning came sooner than I would have liked but I was also eager to return home and see my hubby and all my other babies.  We left before many of the cottagers had even awoken but we said our goodbyes to the few who were there to see us off and I knew it wouldn't be long before we returned.  We had already been invited back this summer and this time we could bring our entire family!

The drive home was quick and easy.  Despite a few rain showers along the way we managed to make it home before lunch.  Everyone was excited to see us, but our family reunion was short and sweet.  We had places to go, people to see and lots of work to be done.

For remainder of the long weekend we were back to our regular routines.  We got so much done around the house both indoors and outdoors.  The kiddies helped out as much as they were capable, and when all the work was done we made lots of time for campfires, barbecues and fireworks...everything you need to complete a long weekend.

It's been a couple weeks since Georgia and I left for Huntsville and since our return I've been feeling a huge sense of happiness and closure.  But more importantly, I can't wait to go back again...and I had forgotten about that feeling so long ago.  It's been more than 10 years since I said goodbye to a place I once loved so much - my dad's cottage.  And I never found it difficult to move on.  I've always had so much to be thankful for that leaving it behind was almost effortless.  Most likely because I was also leaving behind so many negative emotions and unresolved issues surrounding my dad.  As the years passed some things changed for the better and those things I am very grateful for, but so much had stayed the same.  They say time heals but only when your experiences provide opportunities for healing.

It's been a long time coming but this year a series of events have proven that love is stronger than hate, good things can and do come from bad situations, memories are never really forgotten and the stories we tell ourselves about our past affect our future decisions and how we interact with others.  Sometimes it's about learning to see those stories in a new light - that's what this long weekend allowed me to do.

At this point you are probably wondering about a few things things...some of which might be made a little more clear after seeing the photos.

The Muskoka Store...still one of my favourite stops when en route to the cottage.

On the shores of Oxtongue Lake at my friend's cottage just before Georgia's competition.  In the background you can see my dad's property.

Derrhurst Resort in Huntsville, Ontario - location of the CANDANCE Competition.

Dressed and Ready!

1st Place Overall!  Way to go girls!

Stirke a pose!

When we returned to my friend's cottage on Saturday evening I took a closer look at the photograph I had taken.  That's when I realized hanging on the door was a sign I had painted years ago. I had to zoom in on it in order to see it, but I was shocked that it was still there - and in one piece.  I knew I had to go back and get it...no matter what it would take.

Mission accomplished - The Welcome Sign...looking almost like new.

...and on the back I had written this.  I cried when I saw it because I had no idea it was there, but it made our long weekend journey to Huntsville more than worth it.  It is one of the few keepsakes I now have of my dad.

Home with all of my babies.

Sundays at home.

Campfires and smores rain or shine.

Fireworks on Victoria Day with friends and neighbours.  The perfect ending to our weekend.

A quote from my Blog two years ago...the last time I saw my father.  It really is about being able to see things in a new light.


"His incredible ability as a coach and teacher, swimming endless hours with me across the lake and back again, waking up at 6am and dragging me out of bed to go water skiing, when all you could see for miles was the warm mist rising from the lake below (maybe this time I would master the dock start), then heading back to the cottage for homemade pancakes and real maple syrup.  Driving around the property on one of his many tractors and even getting to take control of the wheel.  And dogs - my dad always had a love for animals.  I'll never forget our early Monday morning drives back to Toronto, when he would willingly leave at that horrible hour just so we could spend one more night at the cottage.  Every day spent up-north was a day worth remembering.  Finally, I'll never forgot how when he smiles, he smiles with his eyes...just like I do.  Perhaps when I return home I can look at my oldest son who also has those beautiful blue eyes and maybe, just maybe I'll think of my dad...and that's probably a good thing"



In memory of father Donald Miller
December 1933 to April 2019

I love you Dad

Katie
xo

Comments

  1. This was lovely to read, Katie. I had goosebumps much of the time :) I loved that you were able to re-connect with the Fergs, we also have so many amazing memories up north with them! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many memories of Oxtongue...but it's time now to make some new ones❤ Thanks for reading xo

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g