Skip to main content

My Pregnancy Workout Plan

When it comes to being pregnant and exercising I've always maintained a high level of physical activity.  This is due to the fact that for the most part I've been extremely blessed with normal, healthy pregnancies...combined with my somewhat competitive nature and determination has allowed me to continue doing the sport I love most through all four of my pregnancies - running.  That's not to say that it hasn't come without some challenges.  I've had to deal with several minor complications and even some more serious ones, but through it all the 3 things that have allowed me to stay active and motivated right to end of each pregnancy include:
  1. Listening to my body
  2. Setting goals (realistic ones)
  3. Surrounding myself with a positive network of individuals
Listening to My Body
I would say this is the most important one because when you're pregnant it's not just about you.  Learning to listen to your body and respond appropriately - especially during pregnancy is necessary in order to ensure you are creating the healthiest environment for your baby to develop.  I've always enjoyed staying active but I've also truly enjoyed giving my body the rest that it needed both during pregnancy and after each child was born.

Setting Goals
During pregnancy, goal setting becomes even more important in order to stay active and motivated through the entire 9 months.  One thing I've always found is that setting goals is the hard part, however once they're in place my entire mindset seems to shift and suddenly I begin to feel in control, somewhat invincible and so good about myself!
But unfortunately it has been particularly difficult this pregnancy to establish any sort of training goals.  Thankfully after being on bedrest for over 10 weeks, I was finally given the ok by my doctor early in the new year to re-introduce an exercise program.  Despite my initial excitement and eagerness to begin, my enthusiasm soon turned to frustration and feelings of hopelessness.  There were so many days when I wanted to give up and some periods when I did.  Trying to stay active while fighting ongoing illness, fatigue and simply trying to keep up with our busy lives was extremely tough.  Finally I made the decision in the early spring to make some small changes to my training.  I introduced an easy to follow daily prenatal workout and after several weeks contemplating the decision, I  signed up for a race.  My original intention was to follow the prenatal workout daily and to continue running 4 days a weeks...once again I was beginning to feel overwhelmed!  But this time, I didn't give up so quickly - I had a race to get ready for and I was determined to stay focused.  I also had to remind myself that it was completely ok if my training looked different than I had originally intended...besides I was almost 30 weeks pregnant. 
Fast forward a couple months and my training now looks like this:  3-4 runs per week (one of them being a longer one), 2 days using the prenatal workout and 1-2 days of rest...After weeks of following this routine successfully I am totally feeling ready for my race in less than two weeks.  This past week I finally managed to reach my goal of running 10k!  Yes, I'll have to do again next weekend and by that point I'll be almost 39 weeks but at least now I am confident that I can - even if that means walking through the fake contractions (I'm already starting to have ha!).  Who knows...maybe this will be the race that induces labour!

Surrounding Myself With a Positive Network of Individuals
For me this has meant surrounding myself with family, friends and professionals who constantly give me the encouragement I need to stay motivated.  My number one supporter is my husband.  He has always allowed me the opportunity to get out of the house on a regular basis and go for my run.  Although I enjoy taking the kiddies along for the ride (in our running stroller), I never turn down the chance to run on my own.  I am very grateful to my husband for giving me that freedom.  Number two on list of supportive individuals is my doctor.  He has seen me through all 4 of my pregnancies and has always supported my decision to continue running.  That being said I have always held him and his advice in very high regard.  I have never gone against any suggestions he has made regarding my running or physical activity.  He knows that I trust him and when the tables are turned he also trusts me.  Nowadays at our weekly appointments, he always takes the time to check in and ask how far I ran this past week, then this look of amazement comes across his face and he reminds to be careful and listen to my body.  I know deep down he's very eager to hear about my race next weekend!

Some photos illustrating my fitness journey this pregnancy...

My first run in January after being on bedrest for over 2 months.  This was taken before the run which explains why I look so happy...it was actually one of the toughest runs I've ever done and it was only 3k (plus regular walking breaks).


Always better with a buddy!

Very similar to the workout I follow twice/week.  My routine takes about 20 minutes to complete and the best part - I can do it anywhere. 
An example of the recommended training for the Toronto 10K.  It's always good to have a starting point, then you can always make adjustments based on your own lifestyle and goals.

I thought it would be useful to include some of my fav pieces to run in.  With my growing belly and other growing body parts it's safe to say I had no choice but to go shopping!  But at least I didn't break the bank -ha!  I love all the great pieces you can find at Old Navy in their workout section.  Although they aren't considered maternity clothes they definitely did the trick!  I simply went up one or two sizes depending on the item and I know I'll continue to get use out of each piece, even once the baby arrives.  Be sure to check out their website for trendy, comfortable and most importantly affordable workout gear - so many cute things!  http://oldnavy.gapcanada.ca/browse/category.do?cid=1030823
I love this bra!  Run - Rest - Repeat
I bought these crops in 2 colours and they are super comfy...even with my growing belly.
I love the cut-outs on this top...so much so that I bought it in my regular size, just so I could wear it for longer!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g