Skip to main content

New Hairstyles for Your Little Girl

Twins!
 
It's been almost exactly one year from the date when I last posted on hairstyles for little girls.  You can check out the blog here: http://creativelyk.blogspot.ca/2016/04/adorable-hairstyles-for-any-little-girl.html.  It's so funny to look back over those photos and see all the changes.  I'll never forget the day I attempted my daughter Georgia's first pigtails...her hair was still so short but I managed to gather just enough in order to pull it back into two ponytails.  One of the reasons I love blogging so much is being able to look back over all the memories. 
 
A few months ago I decided it was time to start gathering some new hairstyles and start attempting to recreate them whenever the opportunity was given.  Looking back I remember how challenging it once was to ask my daughter to sit still longer than a few minutes.  I had to have so many tricks in place to ensure she wouldn't get distracted and decide to move on.  To be honest, one year later has really changed how we do her hair.  I no longer have to beg or bribe her to try something new.  She actually loves the entire process...getting dressed, choosing a style from our growing collection, then adding all the finishing touches (flowers, clips, bows and ribbons).  Sometimes we even use a little hairspray - as a special treat.  I'll share with you (down below) all the products I use to wash and style her hair.  I only use products that are natural and free of toxins...especially when it comes to my children.
 
While some things have become easier, I've been faced with some new challenges too.  The most difficult being I often have to leave for work before the kiddies are even awake.  My hubby has no desire even to attempt Georgia's hair so some days I find myself trying to do hair while she's still sleeping - definitely not a highlight of her morning.  When that's the case I stick to something super simple that requires very little brushing.  My only other option on these mornings is to leave her hair styled when she goes to bed.  I don't love the idea of leaving her hair tied up but sometimes convenience takes precedence.  The other issue we have is brushing her hair...we haven't cut it in 3 years so it's become very long!  I have every intention of cutting it or at least trimming it very soon but for now we rely on mommy being very careful when brushing her hair and using a detangling spray to help with all the knots.  Distraction - such as playing on my cell phone helps too haha!

Products I love and trust:

Shampoo - we have two that we use regularly but we continue to wash her hair only 2-3 per month.
  1. https://well.ca/products/green-beaver-jr-boreal-berries_19154.html
  2. https://well.ca/products/thinkbaby-shampoo-body-wash_80579.html
Detangling Spray - I can't get enough of this product...I even use it on my own hair.  It's currently offered in 3 different scents and each one is amazing!  It has a slightly higher price point but it's so worth it and lasts a long time.
Hairspray - I only recently started using hairspray on my daughter but this is a product I really trust.  I sometimes find myself borrowing hers when I need hairspray because I love it so much!
Hair Gel - all the boys in our family use this one (even my hubby)

Now for the hairstyles...
 
1.  Side French Braid (ending in a fishtail braid) - our inspiration...Elsa of course!

Don't be afraid to attempt a fishtail braid...they are actually easier to do and work well on layered hair.

 

2.  A couple styles for Valentine's Day or really any day of year when you have a little more time on you hands.
 
 
I started with two simple ponytails, then I tucked them up through the elastic and parted the hair into two sections for the braids.

Be sure to use something pointy in order to properly part the hair.  You start with a french braid but you only have to gather hair from one side.
 
3. Tons of Buns for your little ballerina.  I used a hair donut for 2 of these styles in order to make her bun look a little bigger.  They are very inexpensive and come in several different colours to match your hair.
 
She literally had to lie down on her belly so I could french braid the underside of her hair before putting it into a ponytail and bun.  We used the coffee table -haha!

I used a chopstick after I did the bun to lift her hair slightly and lace the ribbon through.
 
 


Tutorial for the final bun.


Hair donuts

 
4.  Simple but fun...some days I just want a simple style that gets her hair off her face and keeps the knots away.
 
 
 
 
5.  The Crown - this was her style of choice when we took the kiddies to Casa Loma for the day.  A hairdo fit for any little princess.
 


A little tutorial...I'm pretty excited because after several attempts I've finally managed to do this style on my own hair! 

 
That's all for now guys...until next time.  Contrary to these photos, some days I do resort to a simple ponytail or even a messy bun.  Currently one of Georgia's favourite styles is a high ponytail, a little off to the side, paired with one of her favourite headbands...anything goes!
 
Have a wonderful weekend! 

 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g