Skip to main content

Homemade Staples

Lately I've taken an interest in making quite a few of my family's everyday food staples.  If someone even 6 months ago had suggested I take on such a task I would have said absolutely not...with 3 little kids at home, working almost full-time and being pregnant with our 4th, the thought of finding time to make things I can easily buy in a grocery store was rather intimidating and almost unpleasant. 

Then one weekend not too long ago I found myself with an abundance of frozen raspberries in our freezer and somehow they had never been opened and were nearing their expiration date.  That's when it all started...I decided to pull out one of my most trusty cookbooks "Oh She Glows" and turn to the page that in the past I had skipped over so many times.  Raspberry Chia Seed Jam...simple enough I thought to myself and with only 4 ingredients, I was sure I could whip up a batch in no time.  Sure enough it was one of the easiest recipes I had tried and very little mess to clean up!  In no time at all I had made the perfect breakfast treat.  Normally I'm not a fan of jam but considering this one was homemade I just had to try it.  It only lasted a couple days because the kiddies couldn't get enough.  The following week I decided to make two batches...and as expected, it was gone in no time - success!  What I loved so much about the jam was knowing each ingredient was natural and although it tasted more like a treat...the added health benefits made it a treat worth giving my family.

In the days and weeks that followed I felt inspired to try creating some other homemade staples...salad dressings, almond milk, marinara sauce, raspberry jam and juice were among the recipes I chose to start with.  They're all items we purchase regularly at the grocery store and eat weekly if not daily, so I figured they were a good place to begin.

I had to make a few purchases in order to get started (large mason jars, juice jug and a nut milk bag), but I also tried to reuse some of the glass jars we typically recycle.  All in all it was relatively easy and affordable to get started; however, my hubby thought the nut milk bag was a little pricey ($18 plus tax).  Once I assured him it was reusable he felt a bit relieved.  We tried a couple places in order to find one, but most specialty grocery stores do carry them (although we often found they were out of stock).

Below you'll find a complete list of all the recipes I used as well as some tips and recommendations for changes.


1.  Chia Seed Jam
http://ohsheglows.com/2012/06/26/magical-blueberry-vanilla-chia-seed-jam/


  • In her first book "Oh She Glows" author and chef Angel Linddon shares her recipe for raspberry chia seed jam.  Online you can only find the recipe attached to her recipe for raspberry oat crumble squares, so I decided to post the link to her blueberry chia seed jam.  The good thing is this recipe is interchangeable and you can use it with any type of berry or seasonal fruit.  My kiddies love raspberries which is why I stuck with the original recipe.
  • It will definitely thicken up once it's cooled off and sitting in the fridge so don't worry about trying to absorb all the liquid before removing it from the stove.
  • It will keep in the fridge for 1 week but at home it never seems to last that long -ha!

2.  Homemade Energy Drinks
http://everydayroots.stfi.re/homemade-energy-drink?sf=apjjnkg#aa



  • This recipe popped up in my Pinterest feed one morning and inspired me to give it a whirl.  Buying energy drinks is not something we ever purchase (due to the high volume of sugar).  That being said I do recognize the importance of replenishing your body with natural sugars and electrolytes, especially after a work-out, so if I'm able to produce a drink that does just that, then why not?
  • We've tried making the lemon/lime and orange flavours.  Both were a hit and so easy to make.  I used agave syrup as my natural sweetener which didn't require much mixing.  I also used filtered water the first time to replace the coconut water (we didn't have any on hand).  We've since tried both ways of making the drinks and either way taste great!
  • I'm also comfortable allowing my kids to drink it after they've been running around outside burning energy...I do water it down a little more when giving it to them.

3.  Almond Milk
http://ohsheglows.com/2013/01/24/my-favourite-homemade-almond-milk-step-by-step-photos/


  • This is one of my favourite things to make lately and I feel so good about giving it to my family.
  • During my third pregnancy I found it very difficult to digest cow's milk so I avoided it at all costs.  Since then I've never really gone back...with the exception of chocolate milk as a treat once in while.  Nowadays my hubby and I tend to use non-dairy milk substitutes.  As for the kiddies they've been drinking goat's milk since our youngest was introduced to dairy.
  • One thing that has always bothered me about non-dairy alternatives is all the additives they introduce...look at any homemade almond milk recipe and you'll find an ingredients list shorter than anything you'll find in a grocery store.  This is the reason making my own is something I'm so proud of.  That's not to say I'll never buy it from a store again...but whenever possible I intend on making it.
  • I love Angela Linddon's recipe but I discovered after trying it 3 times that it doesn't require as much water as instructed.  I used about 2 1/2 -3 cups of water to one cup of almonds.  It all depends on the texture and flavour you're aiming for.
  • On a side note:  I used it to make homemade pancakes last week and they were delish!

4.  Balsamic Dressing
http://ohsheglows.com/2010/03/13/a-salad-confessional/


  • My hubby and I enjoy salads almost every night of the week and our go-to dressing has always been olive oil and vinegar...which I love and feel good about eating, but adding a little flavour is always a good thing.
  • Once again I love the "Oh She Glows" version of this dressing and I always make a point of doubling or tripling the ingredients in order to ensure we have enough on hand for the entire week.
  • Agave syrup is a great substitute for the maple syrup.  I tend to use whichever I have more of.

5.  Caesar Salad Dressing
https://www.culinaryhill.com/homemade-caesar-salad-dressing/


  • I've always tried to avoid caesar salads because as far as salad go...a typical ceasar can be loaded with unwanted calories and not much in regards to nutrition - but they taste so good!
  • A few weeks ago I came across a caesar salad recipe on Pinterest that looked so yummy, I just had to try it.  The only problem - I don't like anchovies...so I paired the salad with another dressing, made some minor adjustments and voila!  It tasted amazing!  We've since had the salad 3 times, adding different toppings each week in order to switch it up.
  • For the dressing I substituted plain greek yogurt for the mayo (I added about 3 parts yogurt and 1 part vegenaise - a mayo substitute).  I also added a couple cloves of garlic - who doesn't like fresh garlic?
  • Here is the original recipe for the salad: https://cafedelites.com/2016/06/10/skinny-lemon-garlic-shrimp-caesar-salad/

6.  Marinara Sauce
http://www.trialandeater.com/homemade-marinara-sauce/


  • Marinara sauce is probably the homemade staple I've been making the longest.  Once you begin creating your own, you'll never go back to the store bought ones.  Homemade sauce tastes so fresh and full of flavour...it's no wonder my family is always asking me to make it.
  • The above recipe is one I have followed and it offers a great place to start, but don't be afraid to venture out and try adding your own ingredients.  For example, when I make it I often add fresh spinach or kale.  In the summer months I use tomatoes from our own garden instead of from a can.  I also use agave syrup as a sweetener or brown sugar. 
  • There are so many ways you can make this recipe your own and I can guarantee your family will keep coming back for more!
 
Below is the link to where you can buy both of Angela Liddon's books, "Oh She Glows" and "Oh She Glows Every Day".  Both offer a number of delicious vegan recipes but you definitely don't have to be vegan to enjoy them.  We use her recipes regularly and sometimes make substitutions for certain ingredients.
 
I hope you all have a wonderful Easter weekend.  My hubby and I are hosting and this year we are expecting almost 25 people!  I can hardly wait!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g