Skip to main content

High Park in Full Bloom

 
 
It's Friday afternoon and I'm en route to Montreal to spend the weekend with my dad.  I debated for days over taking the train vs. driving.  In the end, I opted for the train and now that I'm on board, kid free, coffee in hand and blogging...I'm realizing I made the right decision.  I feel as though this is the first time in a long time I've had anytime to myself.  For the past month I've been teaching kindergarten full-time.  The opportunity was offered unexpectedly and while at first I was hesitant to take the position, I'm truly happy I did.  It's been such a positive experience, but unfortunately has left me with very little time to do anything.  That being said, I'm grateful for this 5 hour train ride to Montreal and the chance to get caught up on some blogging.
 
This past week I took all 3 kids down to High Park so that we could see the cherry blossoms in full bloom.  It was quite the adventure and definitely worth all the whining and complaining my girlfriend and I had to endure while driving in a vehicle with 3 tired and hungry kids through downtown TO during evening rush hour.  After nearly 2 1/2 hours in the car, 2 washroom breaks and a thunderstorm we finally arrived at our destination...and the best part was the weather started to clear just as we arrived.  Not only had the rain passed but the sun was shinning and the temperature outside had actually gone up.  I felt a huge sense of relief as we pulled into the park that evening.  I had almost talked myself out of going earlier in the day.  I knew it was going to be a challenge bringing all 3 kids - even the weather didn't seem to be cooperating.  Regardless I knew if I didn't try I probably wouldn't see the trees in full bloom for maybe another year or two.  But here we were - finally!  I was so excited.
 
It didn't take long to find our way around.  Everything was well labeled and luckily we passed by two police officers who quickly pointed us in the right direction.  Parking was easy and washrooms were conveniently located right next to the lot.  I made sure to change Jack before leaving the car though...a porta potty isn't exactly ideal for kids in diapers.  The trees that were in full bloom were just around the corner from our car so thankfully I didn't have to lug too much stuff around.  I had my single stroller just in case, but once we arrived it basically served as a storage area for all our belongings.  The kids were having way more fun chasing my girlfriend's dog and climbing trees...as expected after sitting in a car for so long. 
 
So was it worth it?? ...well it's not Japan (someday I hope to see those trees too), but it was certainly a sight worth seeing.  The only unfortunate thing was the crowds of people (which I'm sure would be far worse in Japan -ha!), so yay for Toronto - bonus points if you ask me.  Was it kid friendly? ...the park as a whole most definitely caters to families (they even have a zoo and an awesome play area that resembles a village of small wooden castles!).  On the other hand, my kids had very little interest in the cherry blossoms.  They simply loved the opportunity to run free and pose for lots of silly photos.  In their eyes it was just another park, but in my opinion I would love to go back - maybe even this summer and spend an entire day exploring all the hidden gems High Park has to offer.
 
Link to High Park Toronto Zoo: http://www.highparktoronto.com/zoo.php
 
This has to be one of the most amazing parks I've ever seen...I'm feeling a little guilty for not taking the kids there.

A few tips if you plan on visiting:

1.  Don't be disappointed.  If your only purpose is to see the cherry blossoms in full bloom be sure to track their progress almost daily when the time nears.  Some years you can only enjoy them at full bloom for as little as a few days so timing is everything!  I used the following website in order to get up to date info on a daily basis: http://www.sakurainhighpark.com/.  Also, be aware that some areas of the park reach full bloom before others so if you miss out on the first bunch...there's still hope.

2.  Do plan to head down on a cloudy day and hope that the weather clears.  We lucked out because I'm sure some people postponed their visit due to poor weather...which meant far less people, easier parking and no line-ups.

3.  Don't head down on a weekend (if you can avoid it)...I heard through the grapevine that last weekend cars couldn't even get into the park because the traffic was horrendous.  Not ideal - especially if you're traveling with kids.

4.  Do pack lots of snacks, a camera and a stroller.  Although our stroller didn't come in handy this particular visit I would never go without it.  There are plenty of paths and trails to explore.

5.  Do travel with another adult, especially if your kids are young.  I was very grateful to my girlfriend who stayed downtown after work that evening and made the trip with us.  Just seeing her (and her dog) was a highlight for all three of my kids.

6.  Do plan a romantic evening with you hubby or partner (kid free) and photo sessions are a must...the park is absolutely beautiful!  I'm hoping to see a somewhat smaller version of High Park's blossoms later this spring when I meet up with our family photographer in Barrie for a maternity session.

7.  Do bring your dog and running shoes if you're a runner...I was so jealous of all the people out running that night -ha!

Some photos from the evening...
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Have a wonderful weekend everyone! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g