Skip to main content

Expanding our taste buds

My little Sous-Chef...always helping mommy in the kitchen

A few weeks ago I decided to get a little creative in the kitchen and try a new recipe each night of the week.  I think what motivated me was all the crazy cravings I've been experiencing this pregnancy.  For the first time in a couple years I've been inclined to choose all the foods I try to stay away from when I'm not expecting...basically I've been craving salty, processed crap and the worst part - I've been turned off by my all my favourites (especially vegetables!).  Of course I've made some appropriate accommodations - for example: stuff a handful of spinach and other greens into my morning smoothie), then try not to think about it as I gulp it down...then there was the day I ate 7 eggs and justified by saying they were organic -ha!  At the end of the day, I've tried to be a little more laid back in regards to what foods I'm eating...it's only 9 months -right?  Allowing myself to indulge a little without the guilt has definitely been a special treat.  I must say I've been enjoying every minute of it!  My kids especially have appreciated their more frequent visits to McDonalds...although they rarely eat the food, they love the play zone and mommy loves their fries!

Anyhow, with the new year beginning I decided to step it up a notch...Why not create some amazing and healthy meals with all the goodness my body needs and the flavours I'm continuing to crave?  I wasn't exactly organized but I was definitely determined.  Each day I basically went on Pinterest and searched through an endless amount of meal ideas until something looked appealing.  I found it was best to go day to day as my cravings are still constantly changing.  It meant several trips to the grocery store with all the kiddies, but they actually enjoyed being included in the process.

I found each day got more exciting than the next.  The first day was good, but day 2 was even better and just when my hubby thought nothing could top Thursday night's dinner...I surprised him with Friday's!  My biggest fear was that some of the meals weren't exactly child friendly, but to my surprise they were enjoyed by everyone...even Georgia (our most picky eater).  I had to make a few minor adjustments in regards to presentation - for example: our two youngest can't hold a wrap together so they just ate everything separate.  I feel strongly about exposing our kids to all kinds of foods and flavours - and our rule is they have to try everything at least once. 

Overall the week was a huge success.  I found myself wanting to try more and more, and so with the help of Pinterest and two of my go-to cook books I expanded my list.  I was also eager to share some of our new fav dishes so we decided to host a little dinner party that first weekend.  My girlfriend was 40 weeks pregnant at the time so we were hoping to give her and her hubby a break as well as induce labour with something a little spicy! - no luck but still a great evening.

Finally, I'm excited to share the recipes with all of you, as well as some appetizers and even a few extra recipes I've put on my To Do list.  I tried to include as many of my own photos wherever possible, any changes I made and recommendations for future attempts...hopefully some of the ideas and images will inspire you to try something new in the kitchen this week!

Meals

Day 1 (Vegetarian)
Healing bowls with turmeric, sweet potatoes, poached eggs and lemon dressing
http://pinchofyum.com/healing-bowls


This meal was the perfect start to our week...it was full of flavour, very healthy and quite filling.  I followed the recipe almost exactly with some minor adjustments.  How I prepared them:
  • I added a little extra turmeric because I love all its benefits (but it totally wasn't necessary - stick to the recommended amount for this recipe).
  • I used wholegrain basmati rice which my kids love
  • I made extra dressing for leftovers the next day - it was superb and so fresh tasting!

Day 2 (Vegan)
A vegetarian stir fry with the BEST Stir Fry Sauce
http://www.tasteslovely.com/best-stir-fry-sauce/


We had an assortment of veggies that needed to be eaten so I threw them into the wok with a little avocado oil and tons of garlic.  I searched online for a yummy homemade sauce and found this one (full of ginger) - great for combating all the nausea I've been feeling lately.  How I prepared it:
  • I used vegetable broth, arrow root starch and agave nectar
  • I substituted extra virgin olive oil for sesame oil and apple cider vinegar for rice vinegar (simply because I didn't have the other ingredients)
  • I used a natural soy sauce alternative (you really can't taste the difference)
  • I  used fresh ginger and fresh garlic (I store ginger in my freezer and use it as needed - it's so much tastier and better for you then the powdered version or paste)

Day 3 (Fish)
Fish tacos with chipotle mayo
http://damndelicious.net/2013/06/27/fish-tacos-with-chipotle-mayo/



This meal was a highlight of our week and the one we chose to try again for our guests that weekend.  It was simply amazing and the kiddies loved it too!  This definitely satisfied my taste buds and cravings.  How I prepared them:
  • We served the tacos on small soft shells
  • I used tilapia (but any fish could work)
  • I tossed the red cabbage in a little olive oil, salt and pepper and mixed in some iceberg lettuce
  • I made my homemade guacamole as a spread for the tacos, rather than serving diced avocados
  • I used 3 parts plain yogurt, 1 part mayo (you could just use yogurt - as long as it was thick enough)
  • I made my own chipotle paste in the blender using chipotle peppers from a jar (I couldn't find the paste at our local grocery store)
  • Be aware of your breath the following day - this recipe calls for a lot of garlic

Day 4 (Vegan - minus the feta)
Rainbow hummus rolls with greek salad
http://mymommatoldme.com/rainbow-hummus-rolls/



This was our Friday meal so I was searching for something quick and easy.  This meal did the trick.  It was also kid friendly because the hummus helped the wraps to stay together.  How I prepared them:
  • I followed the recipe almost exactly, using an organic hummus I purchased at the grocery store (normally I would make my own but time is sometimes more valuable)
  • I used finely chopped pumpkin seeds
  • I was happy to finish off the red cabbage I had purchased and used for our fish tacos - bonus!
  • I made a side greek salad with feta (one of my favourites)


Appetizers

Buffalo cauliflower bites
http://www.veggieinspiredjourney.com/buffalo-cauliflower-bites/

Mine didn't look like this...but taste definitely wasn't compromised!

I made this appetizer for our guests and it was a huge hit!  Even with the kids...next time I'll have to use 2 heads of cauliflower.  How I prepared them:
  • I followed the directions exactly but found the panko bread crumbs were very unruly - they just didn't want to stick.  I even tried adding a little egg yolk but it didn't help.  Next time I'll be using regular bread crumbs which I'm hoping will adhere better.
  • I had to turn the oven temp down quite a bit because they were starting to burn a little (I turned it to 375 degrees F)
  • I  served them with a thick organic ranch dressing (which is a regular staple in our home)
  • Next time I plan to make them a little bigger...some of them were falling apart
  • Despite some minor flaws, they were simply irresistible and gone in a matter of 5 minutes!

Baked fries with garlic sauce (yet to try this) - but they look so yummy!
http://www.veganricha.com/2015/10/baked-fries-with-garlic-sauce.html?utm_content=buffer8ea3e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=pinterest.com&utm_campaign=buffer



When I saw these on Pinterest my mouth started to water...they look absolutely scrumptious and I know the kiddies will adore them because all 3 of them are obsessed with dipping things (double dipping is a huge problem in our home -ha!).  I plan to make the fries a little thicker and leaving the sauce on the side. 


Some more meals I can't wait to try:

Greek Turkey burgers

Rainbow Roasted Vegetables (as a side dish) - I love all the colours!

Cranberry chicken salad wraps

Rainbow vegetarian pad thai with peanuts and basil

Creamy Kale Pasta
http://pinchofyum.com/creamy-kale-pasta



My goal now is to introduce at least 1 new meal each week to our lunch or dinner menus.  For the time being I plan on continuing to make our family favourites as well as trying to keep a minimum of two homemade frozen meals - because who wants to cook every night?
Happy cooking and enjoy the rest of the week!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g