Skip to main content

What's in My Camera Bag?

As many of you know...I love photography!  This is a hobby I've begun to take more seriously in the past 5 years.  Just before my oldest son Hudson was born I invested in a fairly decent entry level DSLR camera - the Nikon D3000.  Up to that point I had never spent more than a couple hundred dollars on a camera so my hubby (boyfriend at the time) thought I was breaking the bank when I invested over $500.00 into a camera I barely knew anything about.  That being said, when Hudson made his arrival my husband and I were both very grateful we had invested in the camera we did...our lives had changed in the most wonderful way - we were now parents to a beautiful little boy and it was time to start documenting every aspect of his new life.  From his first trip home from the hospital, to his first bath, first smile...we (ok mostly me -ha!) have literally caught almost every milestone on camera and as a result we've been able to share those moments with friends and family all over the world.  More importantly, we now have those memories to always look back on.

Fast forward 5 years after investing in my first DSLR and I now have a pretty large bag full of camera equipment, including my new camera which was purchased about 3 years ago - that's right...less than 2 years after buying my D3000, my hubby surprised me on Christmas morning with an even better camera (best guy ever!). 

Nowadays I love that my entire family now refers to me as their personal photographer and every opportunity to practice either behind the lens or within the editing process, is in my opinion time well spent.  When I look back over my photos and realize that even one out of the hundreds I sometimes take was in my eyes the perfect photo...I get so excited!  Capturing those candid moments is what I love most about photography.

So what's in my camera bag?
Camera - Nikon D7000
 
Camera Strap - so many fun prints!  Here's the link to where I purchased it from: http://www.phatstraps.com/
 
Lenses - Nikon 18-105, Nikon 70-300 and my newest addition: Nikon 50MM
 
 
Lens Protection Filters - these offer peace of mind...with 3 little kids running around I don't always remember to put my lens caps back on.  Protection is a must!
 
Lens Hoods - I use for indoor and outdoor shoots

External Flash - Nikon SB 600 (I also bought this refurbished)

Flash Diffuser - I usually just keep it on my flash
 
Memory Cards - I always carry 2!
 
Microfiber Cleaning Cloth - for my lenses
 
Lens Cleaning Solution
 
Tripod - I typically only use one for photoshoots

Charger - I wish I had an extra battery!

Camera Bag - not your typical carry case but it does the trick!

Why Nikon?
I'm always asked this question...why did I choose a Nikon?  The truth is I did very little research, rather I chose my camera based on a few factors...my grandfather had always used a Nikon, so immediately I was drawn to this brand over any other.  Cost - I wanted to spend a certain amount so my choices were limited.  Finally, after reading a few reviews online as well speaking with family and friends, I made my choice - the Nikon D3000 it was!

My Role Models and people who inspire me...
My biggest role-model is hands down my grandfather.  He has been an artistic inspiration in my life from the time I held my first crayon.  While photography is definitely not his area of expertise he is truly an artist in every sense of the word...and over the years he has taught me to not only appreciate the creative aspects of life but more importantly he has provided the opportunities for me to develop and master my skills.

In addition to my grandfather, I have several friends who share my passion for photography.  One person in particular is our wedding photographer (and now friend) Tim Smith, who over the years has become our go-to photographer for any type of family photos.  Today, he is also the number one person I turn to for advice, instruction and inspiration when it comes to photography.  Be sure to check out his website: http://www.shutterhead.ca/

Last but not least - my family.  Every day they inspire me!  Watching my 3 little munchkins grow and change almost daily is a blessing...being able to document their journeys through photography is a talent I am grateful for. 

How I got to where I am today...
Practice, practice and more practice!  Also, taking every opportunity I can to ask questions and learn from other photographers.  A few years ago I decided to offer some free photoshoots to friends  and family in order to develop my portfolio and get more comfortable with the editing process. Today, I am now paid for the majority of shoots that I do and there's nothing I enjoy more than capturing that perfect shot and sharing those pictures with my clients.

Most recently, I signed up for a 2 hour photography workshop through HENRY'S - Canada's Digital Camera Store.  I received two hours of one on one instruction, specific to my camera.  I was impressed with the amount of information we covered, although it was a lot take in and remember.  That being said, I was able to upload the information through their website at a later date - an added bonus!  Overall, it was money well spent...I had a great instructor (who happened to use the same camera as me) the cost was reasonable and I'm looking forward to going back!  They also offer multi week courses.  Be sure to check out their website: http://www.henrys.com/Stores/32-Vaughan.aspx?gclid=CNq8hJiM4s8CFQkKaQodBAYKHQ

Some final thoughts...
In this day and age I observe most parents relying on their smart phones to take the majority of family photos, as well as document major milestones in their child's life...and why not?  Phones these days are often equipped with more megapixels than the average camera and with all the apps available as well as social media, taking, editing and sharing photos can happen in an instant...and we're truly a society that has grown to love the option of being able to "click and share".  I've definitely been one to rely on my phone in certain situations - it's convenient (I completely agree with that), but it's just not the same.  My advice is that if you're at all interested in photography and have been considering making the investment...save up and do it!  You'll be happy you did and who knows? ...maybe you'll spark that creative side that's been waiting to emerge!

Have a wonderful weekend!  Don't forget to "smile!"

Be sure to check out "A Few of My Favourite Things" ...I'm back updating that page!

Comments

  1. Hi Kate I have looked through you Blog. I was drawn to look mainly because I am a friend of Joe and Steph Anderton. I also have an Interest in Photography, i thought you may be aware or unaware of a Photo web site called Gurushots it is free and fun and you get to see some fantastic photography from all over the world. It is a competion site, check it out, you may enjoy it. I live in Scotland, I meet Joe and Steph in Spain each year, Mention me when you see them.PS This is a link to my Guru Profile.....................https://gurushots.com/Bannisterphotographic/photos

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g