Skip to main content

Our Busy Box...

 
It's been a very busy September for our family...lots of change, new opportunities and several first experiences.  Hudson started hockey, piano and his senior kindergarten year at a new school.  Georgia was introduced to ballet, jazz and returned for another session at gymnastics.  Last but not least, baby Jack and Georgia started pre-school.  This has probably been the most difficult change for our family, but new routines have encouraged us to become extremely organized and most importantly prepared - for anything!

With the recent introduction of several extra-curricular activities, it didn't take long for me to recognize one area that required some minor adjustments - in regards to planning and preparation.  Unfortunately the majority of programs and activities our kids are involved in occur during my husband's work hours.  Which means I'm often on my own driving 3 kids around town to all of their activities.  Getting them there has never been the issue...but keeping the other two entertained is another story.  Up to this point it was never really an issue - until 2 weeks ago when our daughter started dance lessons.  I was on my own at the studio with all 3 kids and the worse part, it was right in the middle of Jack's morning nap.  Lately we've been trying to skip it, but that only works when he's kept very stimulated.  Little did I know how unprepared I would be that morning.  I arrived at the dance studio with just a diaper bag.  I had their water bottles and a few snacks, but nothing really that appealing.  My goal that morning was just showing up on time, with the bare minimum essentials.  It was only an hour I figured...what could go wrong?  Georgia started her class (at least I had one less to worry about)...within minutes Jackson was into everything while Hudson just sat there complaining about everything.  It was going to be a very long morning.  As I tried gathering our things in order to keep everything together, Jackson started making his rounds, basically going around and screaming at other kids to share their food with him.  I was grateful to the other moms who were willing and encouraging their children to share but I was shocked at the amount of junk food other parents were feeding their kids...chips, donuts,  goldfish, drinking boxes - don't get me wrong, I love to treat my kids but I'm also a little crazy when it comes to eating healthy. Just past the midway point I finally realized I had very little hope of trying to maintain my mommy ways.  So I willingly let Jack eat all the chips, then the goldfish (oh and there was that cookie too).  Hudson didn't seem to care so much about the food...instead I let him watch Lego Star Wars on my phone for over 30 minutes - something I never do.  About 5 minutes before Georgia's class was let out I finally sat down.  I thought to myself, it's not so bad...at least they weren't whining, crying or screaming.  Hudson was content watching the end of his movie and Jackson was happily still munching on the last of his goldfish.  At that point I had given up trying to take the bag away.  Georgia's class finished and she ran out of the studio with a huge smile on her face.  She loved her first dance class - I felt a sense of relief...that look of pure enjoyment made all the junk food and screen time seem worth it!

Regardless, I retuned home that morning determined to be more prepared next week...that evening I started brainstorming a few ideas and within a few days I had a plan in place!  Next week (and every outing after that) I would be prepared.

Below are some of the images I gathered in order to get the creative juices flowing.  I was instantly drawn towards the idea of a "busy box".  I also loved the idea of packing an assortment of yummy but healthy snacks!  If there's one thing I've learned about kids...it's all about presentation when it comes to food.  I can get them to eat basically anything, as long as I present it to them in an appealing way!  Fun bite size shapes, bright colours and of course a few treats will make any snack seem appetizing - and have your kids asking for more!

Check out some of these great ideas:

I purchased a large plastic container at the dollar store - similar to these.  I was sure to buy one big enough that would hold an 8x10 piece of paper.


Originally I thought I would just throw everything in the box but then I came across this idea:  Using individual bags to keep activities separate.  Perfect for keeping your box organized!



These are two great seasonal activities that can be easily created on your own with a few simple materials from the dollar store.  I made the pumpkin one and so far my kids love it!
 
 
 
 I love teaching my kids to always eat the rainbow!  So many options to choose from and the best part is you can change it up and fill their tummies however you choose!  In our home we use the yumbox (https://cutekidstuff.com/collections/yumboxto pack snacks and meals for our kids.  If they could they would eat every meal out of it, that's how much they love it!
 
Some of the snacks I've prepared and stored in the yumbox.

 Over the past two weeks I'm happy to say our busy box has come in handy on several occasions.  Just last week we were at a wedding rehearsal dinner with all three kids and unfortunately dinner was served very late.  All the children attending including ours were starting to go a little crazy...then I remembered my box!  I ran out to the car to grab it and within a few minutes all the children were sitting quietly and happily engaged in one of the activities I had packed - total mommy win!
 
Some of the activities stored in our box.
Hudson's pumpkin creations.
 
Enjoy your week ahead! 
 
 
 
 


 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g