Skip to main content

Don Olson Classic Race Review

...and they're off!
This past weekend I participated in the Don Olson Classic (DOC) 2.5K and 5K Trail Race.  This is an event I've been attending since it's inaugural year in 2010.  In it's opening season the race was called the Fall 5 and today it is now named in honour of one of my dear friends and running coaches, Don Olson.  In 2013, Don passed away from cancer.  That year the event was re-named the Don Olson Classic in order to pay tribute to an incredible athlete and wonderful coach for 310 Running.  This race is also a non-profit event in support of Bethell Hospice Foundation - a charity that was selected by Don himself.

My Race Review

The Event Itself

The Don Olson Classic is an event hosted by 310 Running310 Running is a non-profit athletics club operating out of Bolton, Ontario.  My good friend and head coach of 310, Scott Skimming had a vision years ago of hosting a local running event for athletes of all ages and abilities.  He quickly put his ideas into motion and set out to begin planning.  Not long after his vision became a reality and the club hosted their first race at Albion Hills in Caledon, Ontario.  It was a huge success for Scott, his athletes and volunteers.  Since then, not much has changed.  Although it has grown in numbers and success, today it continues to embody the club's core values...bringing together a community of athletes, both young and old of all abilities, surrounded by the outstanding volunteers and sponsors, in a beautiful natural setting...also thrown in are some amazing add-ons (great music, good food and awesome prizes)!  This is a race you don't want to miss!

The event itself includes two separate race distances.  Athletes of all ages can run or walk the 2.5K loop course (which means you run the same route twice).  Participants 14 and under have the option of competing in the shorter distance 2.5K run.  All finishers of the Don Olson Classic receive a finishers award.  For a complete list of additional prizes please see the attached link: http://www.310running.com/don-olson-classic/ - so many great prizes...one of the reasons I love this race so much!

Course Description

This course is designed to offer a challenging, yet shorter distance race through the wide open trails of Albion Hills, a conservation area located about 45 minutes north of Toronto.  Entry for both events is capped at 400 participants, which means there is only one wave start time for both races.  Either you line up at the front with the fastest runners or you hold back a little and have the advantage of being able to own the trail.  The nice thing about this race is that you never have to worry about slowing down.  Athletes can run at their own pace and never be trampled on by other participants.  The trail offers plenty of open space for the more competitive athletes tying to pass and those individuals who choose to walk.  The first 500m of the course provide a challenging start to the race, as runners make the gradual climb, reaching the highest elevation very early on.  The rest of the course is lined with a few straightaways, some smaller inclines and several downhill descends.  The final few hundred meters offer a fairly flat, wide open path towards the finish, lined with volunteers, family and friends encouraging you to finish strong - but wait - then you have to do it again.  Don't forget this is a loop course which can be a little intimidating.  It all comes down to your mental interpretation of having to do something (that's not really that easy) twice.  Here's the lowdown...you really have to be able to recognize the positives of competing on a loop course - so here they are:
  1. You know what to expect the second time around which ultimately means you could probably run it quicker and hopefully avoid that tree root you tripped over the first time -ha!
  2.  
  3. All those family members, friends and volunteers cheering you on - you get to see them twice!
  4. You can't help but take a glance at the time clock as you pass the start line...for many this can provide that little extra boost of motivation to start moving a little faster, because you're half way now and you've got this.  Who knows? - maybe this is the year you'll finish the course with a negative split.  A race goal I'm always trying to achieve...finishing the second half faster than the first!
  5. Finally, there is a certain camaraderie that is built up over the duration of a loop course as runners race past the same volunteers and spectators.  You feel a sense of belonging and realize you are no longer just a number on the course.  You are recognized for your efforts as a familiar participant and when you arrive the second time, your fans are there to cheer you on!
Training, Gear and Nutrition

There's a reason it's called the rolling hills of Albion - this is not your typical flat 5K road run.  Being physically and mentally prepared for this race makes the event that much more enjoyable.  Proper gear is also essential.  For the past few years the event has taken place the weekend before our Canadian Thanksgiving.  That being said, the weather can be very unpredictable...anything from hot and humid to cold, damp and raining.  It's always tough knowing what to wear on race day.  My rule of thumb is anything over 7 or 8 degrees celsius means I'm wearing short sleeves and shorts or crops...and of course several layers in order to stay warm before and after the race.  I always bring a change of clothes for changing into after an event, which is especially important on a cooler day.  When hitting the trails it's also advisable to wear proper trail shoes or running shoes with a really good tread.  Slippery and wet conditions can offer an element of danger if you're not prepared for the unpredictable terrain.  Unfortunately this year's weather was not too favourable as it continued to rain on and off all morning, creating very slick conditions out on the course.  Thankfully the trees above provided some much needed shelter from the ongoing rain, while race volunteers kept a watchful eye on the course conditions and warned participants to stay clear of certain areas.  Aid stations at the start/finish area provide all participants with water as well as a paper bag full of goodies (chocolate bars, giant pretzels and apples), available to all finishers after crossing the finish line.  In regards to nutrition, following your usual pre-run ritual is recommended...although this race has a later start than most events (10am for the 2.5K and 11am for the 5K).  Be sure to eat a hardy breakfast, because you probably won't have the opportunity to eat again until after the race.

Some Personal Thoughts

There are many reasons I love this race so much!  At the very top of my list is remembering a wonderful friend who ignited my passion for running nearly 8 years ago.  Don taught me to always enjoy the race and never take training lightly...the race was your reward.  Although I preferred training with Don by my side, I never finished a workout feeling strong - he made me push the limits and never slow down.  If I had anything left in me at the end, he reminded me that I wasn't working hard enough.  He'll forever be the wind at my back and the voice inside reminding me to never give up.  I think any of his friends would agree, Don's favourite place to be was on the roads and trails of Caledon, training for his next big event or coaching another generation of athletes to be the best they could be...or you could sometimes find him at the local pub (after the race of course -ha!). 
 
There is a true sense of coming together at this event...it's almost like an annual reunion of fellow runners, community volunteers, family and friends.  That's not to say you'll feel out of place if you attend the event without any prior connections, but rather you will feel as though you were a part of something great and find yourself wanting to return year after year!

Overall Evaluation

I think I've made it pretty clear by this point, the Don Olson Classic is a great race!  But here's a quick recap regarding why:
  • Very reasonable race fees.
  • All participants receive a finishers award (this year it was a DOC winter toque), as well as other great prizes for top finishers in several different categories.
  • Food and beverages are provided to all athletes...Spectators can purchase food (usually by donation).
  • Free parking, music and amazing volunteers.
  • Indoor washroom facilities.
  • Mid-morning start (you get to sleep in a little).
Last but not least...Is it family friendly? 
 
This has become an important factor when trying to choose my next race.  Finding an event closer to home that offers child friendly amenities, as well as indoor facilities for changing and feeding are only a few of the things I feel are important, especially if you have a young family.  A family fun run or separate race distance for younger athletes is an added bonus.  The Don Olson Classic offers everything on my checklist making it the perfect family event!

This past summer my oldest son started showing an interest in running and racing.  He experienced first hand what is involved with training, when he was given the opportunity to participate in a few track practices with some of the athletes from 310 Running.  Despite his immediate interest and my constant encouragement, he showed very little desire to compete in his first race until very recently...knowing race weekend was just around the corner, I decided it was time. 

I'll be honest, I didn't give him much choice but I also didn't give him much time to consider his options.  We arrived at the race with 15 minutes to spare.  I signed him in, stripped him down to his run gear, pinned on his number and lead him out to the start line.  Hudson was showing very little emotion but I could hardly contain my excitement.  My little boy was about to run his first race - a moment I've been looking forward to his entire life.  With just minutes to spare I gave him his final pep talk...it doesn't matter what place you come in or how fast you run, the best part will be crossing that finish line.  I reminded him to stay on pace with me - we were in this together.  I had made prior arrangements with Scott to volunteer on the course which meant I had the opportunity to run the entire race by his side.  The start gun fired and the race began.

Hudson managed to run almost the entire 2.5K course, only stopping to take a break (at my request) on a few of the hills.  As he neared the end, his pace suddenly picked up and he passed me on one of the straightaways.  He finished the race strong in just under 16 minutes and took pride in the fact that he was the youngest athlete on the course.  "Momma, I didn't finish last", he continued to remind me of this all morning -and he proudly wore his finishers race toque the rest of the day!

He did it!  My little runner - 6th overall in his division!

My Sister-in-law - first in her division!

Hudson sharing in Mommy's podium finish!

A post-race ritual - the taste of victory!
 
For Complete 2016 Results please be sure to check out the Home Page for 310 Running: http://www.310running.com/.  To date 310 Running has raised $25,000 for Bethell Hospice...keep up the good work!
 
 
We hope to see you on the course next year...and for all my Canadian readers, have a wonderful Thanksgiving Long Weekend!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g