Skip to main content

Mud Hero Race Review


This is first for me...I've never written a race review so I'm really excited to share with you some advice, highlights and minor disappointments from last weekend's Mud Hero 2016.

The Event Itself
Mud Hero is an obstacle race on foot.  The series offers various event locations across Canada and two standard race distances.  A 6km course as well as an ultra 10km course for the more seasoned athlete.  They also offer a children's event geared towards your little athletes ages 4 to 13.  It's basically a downsized version of the adult event.  Here's the awesome part and what makes the race extremely unique...by the end of the course you'll be completely covered in mud - head to toe!

Although this race is offered nationwide, my team participated in their Toronto North Event at Albion Hills in Caledon, Ontario.  In regards to weather, all of their events are offered through the summer months so seasonal temperatures can be expected.  However if you're trying to beat the heat, you can register to run the event in one of their earlier start times.  Due to the sheer number of participants (which is in the thousands) as well as the layout of the course (it includes 18+ obstacles), they offer several wave times beginning at 9:00am in the morning and running every 30 minutes into the late afternoon.  Basically they run almost 15 separate races throughout the day in order to avoid the crowds.




Course Description
As I mentioned before, I participated in the 6 km event.  This is a relatively short distance for myself, in comparison to some of the events I have competed in, however throw in 18+ obstacles and that changes everything!  I would rate the running portion of the race as an entry level trail run but of course the challenge gets stepped up a notch with the various obstacles strategically placed every 200 to 400m.  Some offer 3 levels; easy, harder and hardest - you make the choice! - and the bonus, should you choose to forgo the obstacle, there's no penalty!  This fact alone makes the race an event for all ages and abilities.  Overall I didn't find any of the obstacles too difficult to attempt.  Rather they were fun, unique and tested you on all levels...strength, coordination, balance, your ability to work as a team and of course the true test - getting down and dirty.  I would say for most competitors, this race wasn't about speed at all (in fact many athletes chose to walk the course).  Rather this was a race that tested the whole person - mind and body - and left you feeling a strong sense of accomplishment when crossing the finish line.







Training
Training - I basically didn't do any...although when I'm not training for a particular race, I tend to maintain a good level of fitness.  That way when the opportunity arises to sign up for a running event, I already have a good training base to start with.  I'm currently running 15-25km per week which meant I was more than ready for this 6km race.  In regards to the obstacles - I didn't do any strength specific training.  My other teammates said they felt race ready as well, despite an obvious lack of preparation...my hubby is definitely not a runner -ha!  But he is an great athlete, as were our other teammates.
Gear and Nutrition
If I were writing about any other race the heading "Gear and Nutrition" would be a very important section...so it's a little funny to be focusing on these topics considering the nature of this event and it's famous "after party".  Regardless, I can definitely offer some good advice when it comes to proper gear.  I was very comfortable with the outfit I chose to wear and I totally expected to throw it out after the race but my husband got his power washer out and sprayed down everything before throwing it in the washer.  Two wash cycles later everything came out as good as new, even our shoes.  So what do I recommend?  Anything fitted that's not going to drag you down.  This is one race, where if you're uncomfortable wearing tight clothing, you have nothing to worry about...you'll be covered head to toe in mud by the 1km mark and thanking yourself for wearing those spandex.  If you're a guy...I get it, tight clothing isn't usually preferable but the tighter the better and more comfortable you'll be.  As for nutrition, stick with your normal pre-workout/run routine and don't worry about hydration...there are 2 water stations conveniently located along the course.  And here's the best part...at the end of the race you can trade your timing chip for a cold beer or cooler (only if you're of age of course so don't forget your ID).  There was also plenty of food available at an extra but reasonable cost and live music!  It's an all day after party for those who like hang around and mingle with their fellow athletes.


My Personal Experience
Having never competed in an obstacle race, I was a little unsure what to expect, but my competitive nature pushed me to attempt and successfully complete each obstacle.  When it came to the running portion - I was in my element (despite the muddy and sometimes slippery terrain).

Some Personal Thoughts...
  • I'll never forget getting to the 2km mark and feeling as though I had a long way to go!  It was at this point I decided to pick it up a notch and encourage my teammates to do the same.
  • We signed up as a team and I was determined to finish as a team - although the entire race I felt torn between pushing my limits and racing full speed ahead...or trying to hold back and focus on teamwork.  
  • My team made it very clear to me - they were there to simply finish the race - time didn't matter.   We completed the event in exactly one hour...but keep in mind we did a lot of walking/talking and even some standing around. 
  • As much as I loved the whole team aspect, I'm feeling a little motivated to try the ultra event next year! ...fingers crossed they'll join me.
Overall Evaluation
...and a few tips for race day success!
Overall it was a great event -  well organized, great venue, events ran on-time and lots of volunteers.  I was also impressed with the communication between event organizers and participants.  They were quick to respond to any questions I had regarding the event and very helpful with making minor changes to our registration.
Was it family friendly?  Most definitely...but only if your children are race age.  That being said...as eager as I was to get my kids out there and expose them to the world of racing, I was grateful to my mother-in-law who volunteered to watch all three of them that morning while we competed.  Although my oldest son was of race age (he's 4), we left the decision up to him and he responded with a definite no -ha!  He hates to get dirty...he said he'll try racing when there's no mud involved.  If you do decide to bring your kids along there are some things to keep them busy and having fun, but keep in mind they may be waiting for you quite a while.  The entire process of signing in, racing and getting cleaned up took us a few hours so it becomes a long day for the little ones.
Will we race again?  You bet!  A year is a long ways off so I won't be registering until closer to the race date but I'm very excited to do the race again and this time perhaps try the Ultra 10k Event!  My hubby and teammates are looking forward to doing it again as well, so looks like we'll see you on the course again next year!




Some final tips...
  • Do arrive early especially if your wave start time is after 11:00am.  When we arrived (we were running late that morning) we were very lucky as there were no line-ups to get signed in and be given your race gear (timing chip and headband).  Fast forward a couple hours and the wait time was at least 30 minutes if not longer.
  • If your looking for a fast paced start time be sure to line up at the start of your wave.  Unfortunately we ended up near the back of the crowd which slowed us down quite a bit in the first 500m.  This is usually the case with most races, however it's even worse on a trail run because the route is usually pretty narrow.
  • Outdoor showers are available for clean-up but don't expect anything luxurious...the water is freezing, the floor is mud and you're surrounded by crowds of people trying to get clean as well!  They do offer more private male and female change rooms for changing afterwards, however there aren't any individuals rooms, just one big open concept design.
  • Bring a garbage bag!  You'll definitely need something to throw all your muddy gear into afterwards.
  • SMILE for the camera!  you'll see several photographers along the way so be sure to get your race face on!  We were lucky to have our own personal photographer and friend Scott Skimming (father to one of our teammates) follow us on our muddy journey through the hills of Albion.  Thanks for the great photos Scott!
Event Website
Albion Hills Conservation Area
On A Side Note:
If you loved Albion Hills and your looking for a another great family friendly race event be sure to check out the Don Olson Classic this fall.  This event is hosted by 310 Running and offers a 5km trail run/walk through Albion Hills.  They also offer a 2.5km race for children ages 14 and under.  Here is the link: http://www.310running.com/don-olson-classic/
Have a Fabulous Long Weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g