Skip to main content

Fall Bucket List

 
We spent our last long weekend of summer in the Kawartha's visiting family.  One of the highlights of our weekend away was attending the Kinmount Fair.  Our family is no stranger to small-town community events.  Every year we look forward to the Fall Fair in our own community - so you can imagine how excited our kids were when we arrived in Kinmount, bright and early Sunday morning.  They had a blast...exciting games and endless rides, hot dogs and lemonade, face painting, first time trying cotton candy...can you believe it?... they didn't like it!, visiting the firefighters and feeding the animals.  By noon they were all exhausted from the morning festivities- mommy and daddy enjoyed a very quiet car ride home.  We can count on one hand the number of times all three kids have fallen asleep at the same time - it's a very rare event indeed, but my hubby and I happily took some time to begin discussing our fall bucket list!

Here's what we've come up with:

Bolton Fall Fair
A family favourite! Be sure to check out the Fairbook 2016 found in the dropdown menu under Fall Fair.  They offer something for everyone - both young and old.  If you've got little ones at home be sure to enter them in the Baby Contest!  For a complete list of showtimes and competitions you can visit their website at: http://boltontractorpull.ca/bolton-fall-fair/

Apple Picking
This has also become an annual tradition in our family and one my kids can't wait for!  I never thought you could get sick from eating too many apples, but I guess anything is possible -ha!  This year my hubby and I will have to better monitor the apple intake while visiting the local farms.  Caledon is home to some amazing apple farms, so thankfully we've never needed to travel far.  Our favourite and go-to farm is http://www.albionorchards.com/.  It offers free admission and several small play areas for the kiddies.  Harvest times vary so be sure to call ahead and find out which apples are ready for picking! 

If you're looking for a little more than apple picking and prepared to spend the extra cash check out: http://www.downeysfarm.com/.  The kids will thank you!  Be prepared to spend a few hours...there is so much to do!  We ended up buying our apples from a bushel at the end of the day - the kids were way too tired to go apple picking!  If at all possible, go early in the fall and if you don't like crowds try to avoid weekends, especially closer to Thanksgiving and Halloween.  And on a side note: Both farms offer Pumpkins too!

Fall Races 
Two family friendly race events I'll be participating in the fall season include the Don Olson Classic and The Haunted Hill 5K/10K Run/Walk.  Both events are local to Caledon and offer plenty of excitement for the entire family!  The Don Olson Classic offers two race distances...a 5K trail run/walk as well as a 2.5K Run/Walk for children 14 and under.  Affordable entry fees, free parking and great prices make this event very desirable!  Fingers crossed my oldest son will be running this year - it will be his first race!  Website linkhttp://www.310running.com/don-olson-classic/

The Haunted Hill run is another great event hosted by the Bolton Rotary.  As always, the race will be held at the end of October... which means get your costumes out - most runners will be out on the course decked out in their Halloween gear.  Full costumes are in effect.  One of the reasons I love this race so much!  I must say, this run hosts a pretty awesome post race event as well - inside!  That way you can warm up.  Website link: http://www.rotaryhauntedhill.com/

Pumpkin Painting
This is something I started a few years and to be honest I'm not sure why I didn't think of this sooner - It definitely puts a whole new spin on decorating pumpkins and adds a somewhat elegant touch to your front porch.  Once you decide to go this route you can search Pinterest for an endless number of ideas.  There are so many to choose from it can be hard to narrow it down.  The key is to pick a colour theme, raid the dollar store than let your creative juices flow - anyone can do this!  You and you kids will have so much fun decorating the pumpkins and the results will last the entire fall season!  My hubby likes to get involved too, but he likes decorating pumpkins the good old way - with a serrated knife and large spoon for cleaning it out.  This is something we always look forward to the day before Halloween.  Be sure to stay tuned for October - I'll be sharing some photos, tips and a list of supplies you'll need for creating the ultimate pumpkin masterpiece!  Check out some of these amazing ideas...I can't wait to start planning!
 



 
 
Fall is truly one of my favourite times of year...warm days, cool nights (perfect for running -ha!), those beautiful fall colours, the food is mouth watering, Thanksgiving and Halloween, and last but not least, fashion is at it's best!  Time to pull out the chunky sweaters, oversized scarves, and most importantly, the boots. Ah, I love boots.
 
Some photos from the Kinmount Fair...
 
















 
Have a wonderful weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g