Skip to main content

Father's Day

With all the family birthdays we celebrated last week I nearly forgot that Father's Day is just around the corner.  A little break from all the celebrating would be welcomed at this point, however I'm definitely not one to sit back and let father's day come and go!  Luckily my husband isn't expecting any "over the top" celebration...to be honest, he would be perfectly happy celebrating father's day in the comfort of his own home, drinking a few beers and doing absolutely nothing.  Just relaxing and spending the day with his kids is what any dad should be doing.  But it's always nice to give that special father in your life a little gift too.  Whether it is something you've made or a gift you've purchased, showing dad he's your #1 fan is all that matters!  Here are some gift ideas my kids and have created over the years, as well as some other fun diy activities that can be adapted to give to almost anyone.
  1. A Mini Photo Shoot -  We were very lucky to have these photos done at such a great cost!  I put all three pictures in a frame and presented it to Jordan on his first father's day with Hudson.
  2. A Mommy and Me Photo Shoot - I love photos! (I'm sure you can tell by now -ha!).  Tim from Shutterhead Photography did the shoot.  I chose a few of my favourites and framed them for father's day.  To this day he keeps the photos at work...but I think it's almost time for another photo shoot -haha!  Georgia wasn't even a year old when these photos were taken!

  3. Dad's Stache - This is such a great idea because you can fill the jar with almost anything.   Choose your father's favourite treat or bake him something sweet, fill the jar and voila! -  an inexpensive but thoughtful gift for your dad.
  4. A Beer Cake - We've never given this as a father's day gift but why not?  They are simple to make and most materials can be purchased at a dollar store.  If sitting back and relaxing with a drink in hand is something your dad likes to do, then this is the gift for him!
  5. A Race Track Shirt - This was Jord's gift last year and the kids had a blast making it.  The best part was being able to drive their toy cars all over daddy's shirt! 

  6. Grillin' and Chillin' - a simple enough diy project for the kids...they can even paint the background to add a little personal touch.  Check out a local hardware store for the grilling utensils and hooks.
  7. Hand and Foot Print Art - Be sure to check out Pinterest for an endless amount of ideas.  It doesn't matter what the occasion is...using your child's hand and foot prints can make any card extra special!
  8. "The Best Dads get Promoted to Grandpa" (or Opa) - We made a picture frame for Jord's dad a few years ago with this saying and a photo of him with the kids.  I think he loved it even more because they took the time to make it!
  9. Father and Son Jerseys - I had these made for Jordan's birthday the year I was pregnant with Hudson.  I had them personalized by adding their birth years on the back as well as our last name.  I also put a "C" on Jord's and an "A" on Hudson's.  Jord wears his jersey all the time and although Hudson has outgrown his, we have passed it along to Georgia and baby Jack.  I'll be sure to put it away for safe keeping and hopefully someday it can be passed on to Hudson's children.
  10. We Would Be Muffin Without You Dad! - We made this (or a version of it), for Jord's dad and my grandfather last year.  Although I love baking, muffins have never been my specialty but I can't wait to try out this new recipe!  http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/blueberry-avocado-muffins/ - they sound so yummy...my girlfriend posted a photo on Facebook of the ones she made this past week and they looked simply delicious!
 
 
Now it's time to come up with something the kids and I haven't already done...  Happy father's day planning everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g