Skip to main content

Campfire tales and yummy treats...

I couldn't ask for a better way to end an already fabulous weekend.  Last Sunday we finished dinner and for dessert we decided to build a campfire and make s'mores!  Quite possibly one of my all time favourite treats for as long as I can remember.  At an early age I learned the basic skills of outdoor survival - more importantly, I learned to appreciate the great outdoors...everything from campfire safety to songs and games, setting up camp, cooking on an open fire and of course the best recipes for some yummy and unforgettable treats!

Here are some of those delicious recipes as well as some tips for fire safety, activities and a few  photos from our most recent family night!

Recipes
  1. S'mores Cone - a little twist on your classic s'more (but all the same goodness you're used to!).  I find waffle cones work best for this recipe and the ingredients are up to you!  Anything from chocolate chunks and marshmallows to various fruits and nuts...this treat is sure to leave your tummy begging for more.  Simply layer your ingredients into the cone, wrap it completely in foil and place it on the outside of the fire well away from the flames.  Heat it, then unwrap and enjoy!  Be sure to let them cool a little before digging in. 
  2. "Banana Boat" (or grilled banana bar) - Regardless how you might refer to it, this tasty (and somewhat nutritious treat) is a campfire must! Split the bananas lengthwise, but don't cut all the way through. The goal is to create a boat to hold the ingredients...chocolate chips or caramel chips, graham cracker crumbs, mini marshmallows - you name it, the options are endless!  Wrap individually in foil and then place near the campfire to melt the goodies (avoid the open flames).  Open up, cool and eat with a spoon.
  3. Toasted Marshmallow Shot Glasses - ok so this one is for the grown-ups!  But try it with chocolate milk for the kiddies.  The key to success for this shot is to roast the bottom and edges of the marshmallow, let it cool, fill it with your favourite liqueur and drink up!  They fall apart easily -ha!
  4. Homemade Marshmallows - if you're feeling really eager check out this great recipe for homemade marshmallows: http://www.mommypotamus.com/homemade-marshmallow-recipe-gaps-paleo-scd/.  I've made them once and while they taste and look a little different from what we're used to - they're definitely worth the effort!  Try a local health food store for some of the ingredients (which may be hard to find at a typical grocery store).  I didn't have access to a candy thermometer...but they still turned out.
  5. "Ghost Gum" - this is another campfire favourite and it's the easiest to make!  It's created by pulling one or more large marshmallows between your fingers (using both hands), until it turns to delicious, stringy goo - yum!  Pop it in your mouth and chew it just like gum.  The longer you pull it, the longer it lasts.  The best part is licking all the goo off your fingers.
Fire Safety

My husband and I have only recently started introducing our kids to the world of outdoor camping.  It's one area I'm eager to get into as our kids get a little older.  For now, we enjoy setting up camp in our own backyard and teaching the basics of fire safety, while still enjoying the comforts of home.

Check out these sites for great tips and information:
A little ironic but also a lesson learned...After writing my blog this week I came home to find a letter tucked into my front door from the town of Caledon.  It was to inform us about the Caledon Burn Permits and Regulations.  Be sure to check out the fire regulations in your own community before lighting up this summer...failure to do so could result in a hefty fine!

Here's the link for the Town of Caledon: https://burnpermits.caledon.ca/

Games and Activities

Just keeping a watchful eye on all our kids is the goal this summer...simple games, songs and stories are the way to go if you have a young family.  I find organized activities are a great way to keep kids safe, focused and entertained while enjoying the outdoors!  Here's a great link to some old familiar games: http://escapeadulthood.com/blog/2009-06-23/11-campfire-games-you-have-to-play.html.  The nice thing about campfire activities is they can be fun for all ages!  Here are some photos from our campfire last weekend...









 
Happy camping! 
Enjoy the weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g