Skip to main content

A Very Minnie Birthday...

Choosing a theme for my daughter's 3rd birthday was a more difficult task than I had anticipated.  I personally had my heart set on a Minnie Mouse party and over the course of the year I had gathered several ideas and inspirations...but unfortunately Georgia's more recent interests with Paw Patrol and My Little Pony put any visions I had temporarily on hold.  Until the final week that is...her and I spent several evenings lying in her bed after story time gathering ideas from several images on Pinterest.  It was then I convinced her - a Pink Minnie theme was the way to go!  I finally felt a sense of relief knowing I could make this party everything she wanted...to be honest I had no idea how I was going to make a Paw Patrol cake topper.  Considering Minnie Mouse is a theme many little girls request, Pinterest offered so many great ideas and local dollar stores seemed to carry all the right party supplies in the perfect colours - pink, white, black and tons with bows and polka dots!
 
Miss Georgia's birthday weekend began on her Nana's birthday which is the day before hers.  Nana and Opa took her and her big brother out for dinner to celebrate!  The following morning we surprised her with pink polka dot balloons outside of her bedroom door and a gift bag full of goodies...a book, new shoes, a Minnie Mouse party dress and a new bathing suit.  Her big gift was a new Princess bike which we had taken her out to purchase the weekend prior.  That day I took her out to lunch at her favourite restaurant in town and they sang "Happy Birthday" to her.  In the evening we gave her the option of a movie night, ice cream or going in the hot tub...our little swimmer chose the hot tub!  It was a quiet day with just our family but the weekend was fast approaching and little did she know what exciting plans we had in store for her.

 
Saturday morning arrived and we woke up to wish Daddy "Happy Birthday!".  June is a very busy birthday month in our family - but I love this time of year!  So many celebrations to look forward to with family and friends.  We had dinner plans that evening at a little restaurant in the country.  We celebrated with only the immediate family and acknowledged Nana's, Georgia's and Daddy's birthdays.  We exchanged gifts, sang "Happy Birthday", enjoyed some more cake and then headed home early to begin final preparations for Georgia's party the following afternoon!  I was very lucky to have my girlfriend and her boyfriend arrive that evening to spend the night.  Her and I worked into the early hours of the morning decorating the cake and cupcakes.  On Sunday morning we were up and at it once again...prepping food, cleaning the house, adding the final decorations to the cake and trying to keep three kids entertained!  Like I've said before, it's so great to have such wonderful friends and family who are willing the help when hosting a large function.





 

Here are some of the things we did to help make this party go smoothly:
  • We pre-ordered 3 large food platters from Garden Foods (a local grocery store in our community).  Vegetables, fruit, and cheese and crackers.  We had 30 guests and plenty of food left over!  We had premade snacks for the entire week!
  • We used an online website to send the invitations free of charge.  Here is the link: http://www.evite.com/
  • I made Minnie Mouse sugar cookies and decorated them during the week.  I wrapped them in little treat bags and attached a thank you tag.  We opted to forgo the goody bags in order to save some money and instead we gave each child a cookie to say thank you.
  • We started the party a little later in the day than we normally would but the extra time was just what we needed to assure everything was in place and ready to go!
  • We did a bbq for this party (hamburgers, sausage and turkey burgers).  Although it was a little more time consuming to prepare the meal, we were very grateful to my father-in-law as well as our neighbour who basically volunteered to do all the barbequing.  It gave Jordan and I a little more time to socialize with our guests.
  • We invited only our immediate family (grandparents, Jordan's brother and his wife), as well as a few close friends, which helped to keep our numbers down a little.
Overall the party was a success!  Little Miss Georgia had the time of her life opening gifts, playing with her friends and basically being the center of attention for one final day!  Here are some of the photos I took from the celebration.








 














 
Happy Father's Day Weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g