Skip to main content

Seventy and Beyond

The Brown Family (minus some really important people - Jord, Shirl and all the kiddies).  Celebrating my mom's 70th birthday!
I just love birthdays! ...the planning, the preparation, the party, the cake, the presents - who doesn't like a good party?  Earlier this month my mom turned 70!  Hard to believe because she doesn't look a day older than 55.  She has never been one to plan extravagant parties for herself and this milestone of a birthday was no exception.  On her actual birthday she opted for a simple dinner with her dad (my grandpa), her 3 grandkids, my husband and I.  I baked her cupcakes and my grandfather treated us all to a family favourite.. Swiss Chalet.  It was quiet and cozy - just the way my mom likes it.
Vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting and fondant flowers.
 
Just hanging with baby Jack.
 
 
Celebrating her actual birthday with all her grandkids.  Miss Georgia can't get enough cake!  ...what about dinner?
 
This birthday was a little different - because the celebration didn't end there.  The following weekend we celebrated again with my moms closest friends and family.  I couldn't have been happier for my mom.  She had the perfect party, just the way she wanted it and she looked absolutely fabulous!  My mom's sister Joanne and her partner Shirl arrived the day prior to help with all the preparations.  My grandfather was also a huge help. He supplied all the beverages and alcohol. I was busy all day Saturday and into the evening baking the birthday cake.  This is something I love doing!  When given the opportunity to make a cake I spend hours planning, prepping and creating.  My go to girl for advice is one of my besties, Shannon Doggett (From Nanny's Little Baker).  You can check out her yummy creations on her Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Nannys-Little-Baker-556443047766544/.  I also love Pinterest to get those creative juices flowing...sometimes you just need some inspiration and what better place to find it?  It's like your own personal inspiration board (for literally everything in life) - I can't get enough of it!  I also volunteered my somewhat decent photography skills for the day of the party ...but unfortunately I forgot my camera and had to send my hubby home to get it - best guy ever!  Always there to back me up.  Here are some of those memorable moments I caught on camera...
The birthday cake!  Chocolate with Vanilla Frosting, handmade fondant roses and mini chocolate chips.
 
 
Part of the gang!
 
Long time friends Susan and Steven.
 
A closer look the fondant roses - all handmade days in advance.  The fact that you can make them ahead of time is great!  They are very time consuming.
 
A beautiful bouquet of roses given to my mom from my grandpa and family.  He never forgets a birthday, a Valentine's Day or a Mother's Day.  Something tells me someone is going to have to continue this tradition someday.
 
The table display...I arrived a little late so some of the food was already eaten!
 
My Aunt Joanne and Jord...a pair of goofballs!
 
Ginette and Dominique.
 
Just chillin with his grammas (Nana and Grandma).
 
Marg from my mom's reading club.
 
This is a keeper!  ...and Congrats to Jeff (far right), he's getting married in the spring!
 
Another keeper!  Definitely a family resemblance.
 
Just love the look on my mom's face!  Pure joy - love her to pieces!
 
All set to go!
 
Make a wish!
 
How cute are these two?  Funny faces!
 
My grandpa can't get enough of baby Jack!
 
Long time friend Mary...These two have been friends as long as I can remember!
Unfortunately I wasn't able to capture every moment or individual but those of you whose photo I didn't capture - your presence was not forgotten!
 
All in all in was a beautiful celebration!  I quote my Aunt Joanne, "While we don't wish you another 70 years, we do wish you a happy and healthy decade ahead!".  My mom said the best part of turning 70 was being surrounded by friends, family and extended family...and of course celebrating it with her father who turns 98 next month.  Another milestone birthday for this family!  I look forward to sharing this upcoming celebration with all of you!
 
If the worst part about getting older is having to scroll down your computer screen in order to find your birth year...you can count your blessings!  Happy Birthday Mom!!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g