Skip to main content

Go Green 2016


In general I've always had a healthy lifestyle (this goes for my husband too), but it wasn't until more recently that we really took a step back and realized how much more we could and should be doing.  In 2015, our family took several steps toward healthy living. This year we want to do even more...for the first time ever we're using the new year to kick start some of our family goals (some of which we have already begun to implement).  My hubby and I have had numerous conversations discussing these goals, trying to determine which are attainable and plans for implementing them.  One theme that always seemed to emerge was going "more green"!

So here they are!  Our Go Green Goals for 2016 in no particular order:

Green our personal care! - This includes all health and beauty products.  Last week I officially got rid of all the beauty products in our house that contained ingredients I didn't recognize...basically everything I've ever bought from a local drugstore ha!  I didn't go too crazy (I kept certain things such as make-up, shampoo/conditioner and some medications).  At this point everything I now use on my children, I've either made myself (using essential oils or I've purchased the product from a reputable place - where I can be assured it's ingredients are natural).  I also found some great products at the One of a Kind Show this past November (here's the link for the spring show: http://oneofakindshow.com/toronto/index.php).  Two of my favourite locations to purchase natural health and beauty products are right here in my hometown of Bolton Ontario: http://www.glamgoesgreen.com/ and http://www.jadeholisticspa.com/.  Both ladies offer great incentives! ..and I love to buy locally whenever possible.  This year I plan on replacing all my make-up with new more natural products.  My husband (who, of course, uses far less than I do in the beauty area has pretty much gone green!).  Except for deodorant...I bought him a natural one and after weeks of embarrassing odours, he begged me for his old one back!  I gave in but I still encourage him to use the natural one whenever possible - I'll put up with the smell ha!

Shop Locally and Organically! - This includes everything we eat and use, even clothing!  Being a family of five we can't always afford to by organic foods but whenever possible we do (keep in mind that organic isn't always better).  Regardless of where are food comes from I now spend a whole lot of time cleaning it properly.  Who knows what's on my food? ..but my routine which includes placing it in a sink full of water (as well as  adding 5-6 drops of my lemon essential oil), letting it soak, swishing it around, rinsing it and laying it out to dry hopefully gets rid of all that stuff!  In the summer and fall months I look forward to buying a lot of our fresh produce from the local Farmers Market in Bolton (http://www.boltonfarmersmarket.ca/).  Last summer, this was definitely a challenge because it's only open on Saturday mornings which is when my husband works.  Taking 3 kids under 4 to the market on my own was quite the adventure!  ...which is why this is a goal for 2016!  I plan on going every Saturday this season with my family - teaching my children more about eating well and including them in our food choices is a big part of educating them about their health and nutrition.  In addition to buying food locally I also love to shop locally!  Don't get me wrong, I love to go shopping pretty much anywhere ..but I also love being able to shop right here in my own hometown.  Here are some great stores I can't get enough of: http://www.forstersbookgarden.ca/ (I can always find what I'm looking for and some extra goodies too -  I also love being greeted by their adorable dog!), http://theglitterparlour.tumblr.com/ (This store is new to Bolton but already I've found a few great pieces of clothing and they do custom orders!) and finally http://naturally-bulk.foodpages.ca/ (My go to store for baking, healthy snacks and natural products - and if it's not in stock he's always willing to order it in!)

Baby Jack helping out with the groceries...what's next on the list?

Taking the time to properly clean your fresh produce is so important!  Try doing it all at once as soon as you come home from the store...saves you having to wash everything individually as you need it!

Go Chemical Free! - This includes all cleaning products (with a focus on things we use inside the home).  Once again I didn't go crazy and throw out everything in our cupboards that had chemicals in it.  However, my husband and I have made a conscious effort to pay more attention to the products we do use.  We have three little kids and a dog (while I don't encourage it, all four of them have at some point eaten off our floors).  Any surface in our home that comes in to contact with our family is now cleaned with products that are chemical free.  We've accomplished this task by making a lot of our own cleaning products.  After being introduced to essential oils in 2014 through our dear friend Calea Souter, we started creating solutions that were safe and natural!  Many of these recipes came right from her Facebook Page or Pinterest.  Here's her info: http://www.yummymummylife.com/.  In 2016 my hubby and I plan to expand our DIY products even more!  We just recently started switching all of our hand soaps and all purpose cleaners (such as windex and floor cleaners).  The best part about all this is we now know exactly what we're using...and they are so safe, you could literally drink them! ..we don't ha!

Green Our Transportation! - This is a more personal one for me...I LOVE running and if I can run to get where I have to go I will!  But needless to say, with 3 little ones at home, I never know when my next run will be.  Most days I just get up, put on my running clothes and hope that if the opportunity arises, I'll squeeze in a quickie - I'm referring to running ha!  Not always the case.  Through the summer, I managed to get back to running 4 days/week consistently (one of those runs being a long one).  I was training to potentially run a 1/2 marathon (spring goal 2016!).  As the holidays approached my weekly run schedule dwindled down to about 2-3 outings/week.  Life just got busy!  In my 10 years of running, I've never run so little (even while pregnant!).  It was time for a change.  One day in December, my mom arrived (as usual) to watch my younger two so that I could go and pick up my son from school.  At the last minute I couldn't find my keys so I threw on my running shoes and took the running stroller to go and pick him up.  Looking back, I've realized how easy it was to meet him and bring him home (no parking, waiting in the cold or strapping him into his seat).  For the past couple weeks I've been running everyday to pick him up.  I throw in a few extra kms at the end and we still make it home in good time.  He absolutely loves it and I get my running fix for the day - double bonus!  I can't thank my mom enough for making the trip down to my house nearly everyday to help out!


More outings like this!  (Taken just days before Christmas)


Green Our Laundry Routine! - I have a bad habit of starting a load of laundry, than starting something else and forgetting to put my clothes in the dryer! ..by the time I realize what I've done, it's too late and everything needs to be re-washed.  Am I the only one who does this??!  In 2016,  my goal is to not let this happen again!  We're also eager to try making our own laundry detergent.  At this point we've tried using more natural detergents and stayed away from bleach, fabric softeners and dryer sheets.

In addition, to our "GO Green Goals for 2016", we also have other plans and goals for the year!  I look forward to sharing those plans with you throughout the coming months.  One last thought...this whole process of going green, living healthy, making smarter choices and getting informed can be very daunting and even a little turn-offish - where does one start?  Just remember that it's a process - a long one, and you can't expect yourself to change everything overnight.  At one point, I was considering emptying our bathroom and kitchen cupboards of all the products I thought were "bad".  My hubby was quick to put a stop to that!  Now I'm thinking more clearly ha! ..and looking at the process as a journey, not a destination.  It's all about the baby steps, small goals and set plans that lead to big and lasting changes!  What are your goals for 2016?

More time together...who doesn't need this?

Check out these links:
https://www.doterra.com/en (where we purchase our essential oils)
http://www.homemademommy.net/about (check out her DIY essential oil recipes)
My girlfriend, Calea Souter (from Yummy Mummy Life) is another great resource for all kinds of recipes using essential oils - food related, cleaning and household as well as baby and beauty products (her info is up above).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g