Skip to main content

Our Top 10 Go To Smoothie Ingredients

Smoothies...I can't get enough of them!  ...and I can't imagine a more perfect combination of goodness.  They are easy to prepare, take seconds to make and with the right ingredients, can provide a delicious and nutritious snack.  I say snack because I've never been one to replace meals with supplements or shakes.  In our household, smoothies are either served with a meal or as tasty snack.  My children might even refer to them as a treat - I'll get into that later.  In order to truly benefit from all the goodness a smoothie can offer, you have to have the right ingredients on hand.  This was something I always found to be a problem!  I would come across the perfect recipe only to realize I was missing one or more of the ingredients...this would be so frustrating!  I quickly learned how important it is to keep you cupboards and refrigerator/freezer stocked with the right ingredients.  This takes a little time and planning, but once you become familiar with the ingredients and know where to purchase them...it becomes almost second nature!  Be patient - it's a time consuming process but worth the effort!  It's an investment in the current and future health of your family. The following is a list of the top 10 smoothly ingredients we always keep on hand.  Some of them are items we purchase regularly and others are ingredients we keep stashed away - they have a longer shelf life and you only need a small amount.

Here they are in no particular order:

Source of Protein - This includes low-fat plain yogurt (stick with plain - the other stuff is full of sugar), almond butter or natural peanut butter.  These are all ingredients we use almost daily in our home, so I know they'll always be there when the recipe calls for them.

Greens - Kale, spinach and avocado.  Again, we use all of these daily or a combination of them for making salads and baby food.  These ingredients give smoothies that sometimes awful green colour but the are packed full of nutrients and most often, you can't even taste them.  Kale can have a strong bitter taste, but you can offset this flavour with other ingredients such as berries.  Spinach is easier to mask and an avocado gives smoothies that perfect creamy texture.  Beets are another great (but not so green) vegetable you can add to your smoothie.  I just love this recipe and the colour makes it even more appealing! http://ohsheglows.com/2013/09/03/introducing-vegan-glow-pink-power-detox-smoothie-recipe/

Spice it Up! - Some of our fav spices to use in a smoothie include turmeric, cinnamon, ginger (try it fresh!) and nutmeg.  There was a time when throwing spices into my drink was a little foreign to me but now I just love to spice it up and add some flavour to our drinks...not to mention some great health benefits.  For example turmeric has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a very strong antioxidant.  Try buying your spices from a health food store or from someone who has put the time and research into buying their products for wholesale.  As consumers we are often quite naive, the reality is unless you do a little research, you're not getting the full story.  For example, turmeric sold as a spice in the grocery stores offers little to no benefits (other than flavour), unless taken in large amounts - which isn't realistic.  I actually called http://naturally-bulk.foodpages.ca/ in Bolton to get a little more info.  They sell pure turmeric in capsule form, which when added to you smoothie probably offers plenty more benefits than the little spice jar.  We now use both, but I love taking the time to learn about what's best and how to experience the most benefits!

Bananas - I just love bananas and so does our family.  Packed full of potassium and vitamin B6, bananas also have good levels of vitamin C, magnesium and manganese...not to mention they can help to thicken up any smoothie and give it that perfect creamy texture - yum!

Raw Cacao - For all the chocolate lovers out there...did someone say chocolate milkshake?  I prefer the powder to the nibs because I find they blend better.  My hubby stays away from them all together (he's not a fan of chocolate).  Try them with berries or bananas for a delicious smoothie or dessert - loaded with antioxidants!

Berries - We buy fresh all the time and we try to buy what's in season but that's not always possible...Frozen fruit can be a healthy alternative and the good news is freezing fruit may help to preserve some of those valuable nutrients!  We don't normally stick to one brand...We try to mix it up and buy locally grown fruits whenever possible.  Be sure to always read the ingredients list!
An assortment of other fruits - You can add pretty much any fruit to your smoothie but some of our family favourites include mango, pineapple, kiwi, apples, figs and oranges.
Nuts and seeds - We love flax, chia, and pumpkin seeds as well as various nuts (almonds are my fav).  Used on their own in a smoothie or in any combination provides your body with an array of health benefits.  Check out this article from Outside Magazine http://www.outsideonline.com/1925866/best-seeds-add-your-smoothie.
Old-fashioned oats - that's right folks...they're not just for your cereal bowl anymore.  Throw them in whole, for a more hearty drink - or use a food processor to grind them down into a fine powder, which makes them a little less noticeable in the final product.  Either way, you're getting that daily dose of fiber!
For a tasty treat add some sweets - Sometimes you need a little extra sugar as a special treat or to curve those cravings.  Try adding honey, molasses or real maple syrup!  My hubby and I often make a double batch and freeze the rest into containers such as these: http://www.growingagreenfamily.com/category/organic-popsicles/non-toxic-ice-pop-molds/.  Our kids just love a frozen tasty treat after their meals or on a hot summer day - and just think of all the healthy things you can toss in there...they'll never even know!
Ok...so I provided a little more than 10 - but the truth is, so many of the ingredients I listed are items many of us purchase weekly or keep stored in our pantries.  The one ingredient I didn't mention is water.  Although many recipes call for milk or non-dairy alternatives such as soy, almond or coconut milk, I tend to stick with water.  My children do drink dairy occasionally and my husband and I will sometimes enjoy a glass too, but for the most part I now stay away from the processed non-dairy beverages available at the grocery stores.  Many of the brands available contain ingredients I'm not comfortable giving to my family.  It's all about moderation and getting the facts.  There are thousands of smoothie recipes out there and so many of them provide an overload of goodness for our minds and body - the best way to start introducing them into your diet is simply to try one out!  Getting your hands on a reliable blender or food processor is also key.  My family uses these two trusty machines in our kitchen: http://www.breville.ca/hemisphere-control.html and the http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/magic-bullet-single-shot-12-pc-0431733p.html#.Vqg5jssUU5s.


Here are the links to two of my favourite sites for amazing ideas, info and recipes: http://ohsheglows.com/ and http://simplegreensmoothies.com/.
Happy Blending! ...and please share your favourite recipes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g