Skip to main content

A Little Triathlete in the Making


At the end of May our kids participated in the Kids of Steele Triathlon hosted by the Canadian Cross Training Club C3.  This was our families second year participating in the event.  After such a positive experience last year, I was so excited to return this season and enjoy another great day with the kiddies. 

New this year, our oldest son Hudson was able to compete in the competitive division, which meant his events were now timed and final results would be compared against all of the kids in his age group.  As exciting as this was for me, I knew not to make a big deal about it.  Hudson has always been the kid who struggles with new opportunities and experiences.  He often likes to sit back and observe from the sidelines which I'm ok with (sometimes).  I was certain that he would do well and I knew he was going to have fun regardless of what place he finished.  But rather then putting the pressure on and allowing him to make the decision, I just went ahead and signed him up him up.  Thankfully we had convinced our good friends to come along and join us, which meant Hudson wouldn't be alone.  One of his best friends would be right there by his side and that made him feel a whole lot better.   

As race day approached, we were all getting pretty excited.  Unfortunately just days before the event we learned that one of Hudson's Rep baseball games had been rescheduled and fell on the same day as the race.  We felt that he should be there to support his team, so as upsetting as it was for both of us, we decided he should attend the game.

On the day of the race, we got up bright and early.  Plan A:  My hubby would take Hudson and the baby to Stouffville for the baseball game, and I was going to the race with Jack and Georgia.  We got everyone ready, packed up the cars and went our separate ways.  I had to leave a little earlier in order to register the kiddies and get everyone set up.  Upon arrival I notified the race coordinators that Hudson wouldn't be able to attend.  It was at that point it occurred to me that maybe we hadn't thought this day entirely through.  Plan B:  I called my hubby who thankfully hadn't left yet and suggested a new course of action.  It took a little convincing but I soon managed to make him realize that Hudson had trained for this race and he had been looking forward to it for weeks...giving him the opportunity to participate just seemed right.

Within in 45 minutes they had arrived and Hudson was ready and eager to go.  The timing was perfect, Jack and Georgia had just finished their race and they both had had a blast.  Now it was time to get Hudson and his friend set up and at the start line.  Despite a few minor mishaps...a forgotten helmet, a missing bathing suit and two bike tires that needed some air, we finally managed to get everything sorted out.  We even had a little time left to do a walk through of the course, but then it was time.  I took them both to the pool for their first event.  They looked a little nervous but I knew they were left in good hands.  The race volunteers directed them to the waiting area and stayed by their side until their wave was ready to go. 

Then they off!  It was very exciting to watch them begin.  Luckily they had different start times, which allowed us to watch each of them individually.  I tried to stay within close proximity but certain areas such as the transition zone was off limits to parents.  Regardless we were able to cheer them on from the sidelines...everything else was left up to the race coordinators and volunteers who were extremely supportive and offered constant encouragement.  Both Hudson and his friend finished the race strong.  It was exciting to see them cross the finish line and for their first time feel that sense of accomplishment that comes from finishing something you maybe weren't sure you could do.  I was so proud of them both!

As we started gathering our things and preparing to head home we learned that the race results had been posted.  Hudson had placed first overall in his division.  I knew he had done well, but learning that he had finished in first place made our last minute decision and change of plans totally worth it.  And seeing the look of pride on his face was a moment I'll never forget.

Since the race we've been busy trying to choose his next event.  I figured he might as well make use of his new triathlon suit...when we realized he had forgotten his bathing suit that day. the only option I had was to buy him a new one.  But when you're stuck at a triathlon in the middle of nowhere...your options are pretty limited.  A triathlon suit it was - but I must say, he looked pretty darn cute!  Sometimes just looking the part can help your confidence a whole lot!












Have a great week!

Katie
xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g