Skip to main content

Christmas Line-Up



It’s December 10th which means holiday traditions are already in full swing around the Minderlein household and the kiddies couldn’t be more excited! 

Here’s our Christmas Line-up for 2018...

1. The One of a Kind Show  The event has already come and gone but this is a tradition I’ve had with my mother-in-law for 12 years.  We always head down the last Thursday in November and spend the day shopping for Christmas gifts.  This year was the first time in seven years I got to go on my own (baby free) and it was truly a special treat.  I still got my baby fix though…my sister-in-law was able to join us with my niece baby Claire.

     2. Glow Barrie  This was something new we tried this year and we definitely weren’t let down.  It took place in Barrie, Ontario at the Bradford Greenhouses.  It was the most amazing light display I’ve ever seen!  Our entire family loved the event, even baby Irelynn.  We got our first visit in with Santa Claus, the kids got their faces painted, played in the children’s castle and filled their passports as they traveled from one country to the next enjoying the festival of lights.  We finished the evening with beaver tails and a peaceful car ride home.

For more info: Glow Barrie

3. Elf on the Shelf  Our elf Timbit and his bestie Bob the reindeer made their exciting return last weekend bringing with them lots of fun goodies!  We got the kids excited for their return with a special delivery of Christmas cupcakes in late November.  I teamed up with my good friend and neighbour one evening to bake and decorate them, then we took turns secretly delivering them.  New this year:  Timbit and Bob brought with them Christmas PJs for the entire family.  Normally I give everyone their pyjamas on Christmas Eve but my neighbour suggested December 1st, allowing us to enjoy them all month long.

4. The Santa Claus Parade  Every year we look forward to seeing the Santa Claus Parade in our hometown of Bolton and every year we hope for good weather.  This year Georgia wasn’t feeling herself so we decided to head down a little later than usual.  We managed to see the last few floats and of course the Big Guy – Santa!  Then afterwards we headed indoors to warm-up and enjoy some hot chocolate with our good friends (who conveniently live downtown Bolton - right on the parade route).

5. Santa Visit  This year I took the kiddies to Upper Canada Mall.  They always have the best Santa and new this year – interactive games and activities, plus some fun photo opportunities while you wait in line. 

6. Christmas Family Photos  They took place this past weekend so fingers crossed we got some good ones.  Our photographer already sent us an unedited preview and so far some of my favourites are the ones where no one is looking and Irelynn is screaming ha!

Tim Smith: Our Photographer

7. Magical Christmas Forest at Kortright  This is an event we attended a couple years ago and loved it.  It takes place at an Outdoor Education Centre in Vaughan, Ontario.  It offers lots of fun activities for families to participate in.  You can start the evening indoors decorating cookies and making crafts, then bundle up and head outdoors for a campfire and sleigh ride.  On your way to visit Santa be sure to stop by the elves workshop and check out the Nice List…hopefully you made the list!  

You can check out my blog from our 2016 visit: Magical Christmas Forrest 2016

8. Decorating the Tree  Ever since Hudson was born we have continued our annual tradition of putting up a real Christmas tree.  I don’t think I could ever go back now…who doesn’t love the smell of a fresh pine around the holidays?, not to mention the millions of pine needles I find on my floor every morning ha! 

9. The Nutcracker  This will be Georgia’s first time at the Ballet.  I’ll never forget how much I loved seeing the Nutcracker as a little girl.  I think the only thing more exciting will be enjoying it with my own daughter and both her grandmothers (Girls Day!).

10. Cookie Exchange  This year I was invited to two and unfortunately I had to miss the first one.  But I’m looking forward to the next one because it’s been years since I've had the chance to participate in one.  Now I just need to figure out when I’m going to bake 8 dozen cookies!

11. Christmas Parties  As much as I love hosting it’s always nice to be a guest.  This year we’ve been invited to a few different functions and despite how busy things get it’s always fun to dress-up with the kiddies and head out for a night on the town (in this case the neighbourhood – we always stay local ha!)

12. Brown Family Christmas  Every year we celebrate Christmas at my mom’s house on the 23rd.  This allows us to stay home on Christmas Eve, wrap gifts, bake cookies and watch the Santa Tracker as we patiently await his arrival.

13. Christmas Day  My 11th Christmas at the Minderlein Home.  Seriously one of my favourite days of the year!  My mother and father-in-law always host a great party and I love that they never forget to include my own family.  My mom and grandpa look forward to joining the celebration.

14. Blue Mountain  For the past couple of years we have continued taking the family to Blue Mountain for a fun-filled day of tubing, swimming and dinner out in the village.  We’re hoping that this year my brother might be around to join us.

15.  New Year’s Eve  We always host on New Years Eve because it’s so difficult to go anywhere with four kids.  We’re excited to see who will be joining us this year for the last party of the season!

As always I look forward to hearing from all of you.  If you have a chance please share some of your favourite holiday traditions in the comments!


A little preview of our Holiday photos.

With my sister-in-law at the One of a Kind Show in Toronto.

One of a Kind

Glow Barrie

Sound asleep after Glow in Barrie.

Timbit and Bob are back!

Ready to be decorated - 12 feet this year!

Patiently waiting to see Santa!

Magical Christmas Forrest at Kortright




And just for fun...my very first blog.  Talks all about Christmas 2015!: Christmas Round-Up


Have a great week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g