Skip to main content

Our Last Weekend of Summer



Two weeks ago we headed north towards Buckhorn, Ontario to spend the last official weekend of summer at the cottage with my Aunt Joanne and Aunt Shirl.  All summer we had been trying to make plans to go and visit them but needless to say - we were pretty busy.  Instead we opted for a September weekend...hoping that the weather would cooperate.  Not only did we have one of the most beautiful weekends of the summer (weather wise), it was also one of the buggiest!  Anyone who knows me, knows I hate using real bug spray - I try to go more au natural.  But we honestly had no choice that weekend.  It was either spray ourselves down with deet, get outside and enjoy the weather or get outside and be eaten alive (staying in wasn't an option).

Although the water was a little chilly we still managed to have a great couple days...playing outdoors, relaxing on the dock, cooking some yummy meals, enjoying movie night (both nights - ha) and celebrating my Aunt Joanne's 70th birthday.  Fun Fact: On my Aunt's 60th birthday she trained and ran her first 10k race and I was there at the finish line cheering her on.  I was so inspired by her accomplishments that I decided to take up running!  Most of you know what that lead to:)

Anyhow, it was a busy and fun-filled two days but as always it was worth all the packing, planning and organizing it takes for a family of 6 to go away for the weekend.  And let's not forget all the work it was for both my Aunts (our lovely hosts).  I'm pretty sure they headed straight down to the dock with wine in hand as soon as we pulled out of their driveway.  Maybe they threw a load of laundry in on the way haha.

On a side note:  If you have kids it doesn't matter if you're going away for one night or an entire week...you still have to bring an enormous amount of things!  I'm pretty sure I had to pack even more for this trip because I didn't know what the weather would be like.  I threw in bathing suits, shorts, pants, jackets, rain gear and slippers.  Traveling between seasons requires so much more planning!



















Have a wonderful weekend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g