Skip to main content

Airport Day


A couple weeks ago I took our younger two children to the Brampton Flight Center for their annual Airport Day.  Both my mother and grandfather decided to join us for the festivities.  The entire day was very exciting for my little guy Jack, but it was also very special for my grandfather William Russell Brown who was a pilot and flight instructor during WW2.  He was given the opportunity to meet with one of the pilots who would be taking flight that afternoon in one of the old Harvard airplanes.  My grandfather was even invited to stand on the wing of the plane and pose for a photo with his great-grandson.  The very model he used to fly during the war!   It was actually quite inspiring to see him standing there with the pilot, but let's be honest - he was probably giving the guy a lesson or two haha (the photos say it all).

The rest of the morning was spent exploring the grounds and trying to take it all in before nap time.  There was plenty to do for all ages and the weather couldn't have been better - not a cloud in the sky.  For the avid flyer or someone just looking for a little excitement, $40 flights were being offered to anyone willing to wait in line.  Although we decided to pass on the opportunity this year, we were informed that if you arrived early enough, the wait wasn't very long - and worth the price!

Rather than taking to the skies, we decided to take advantage of all the other activities being offered.  These included the jumping castle, a trackless train ride, face painting, the vintage car display, a live band and even a visit from two very famous superheroes.  Food and beverage stands were also set up providing guests with a BBQ lunch - at a fairly reasonable price.  All proceeds, including the $5/person entry fee went to support the Great War Flying Museum.
Some tips:
  • Arrive early! It starts at 10am.  The parking lot was almost full by 1pm and cars were lined up at the entrance trying to get in.  Plus you had to wait a very long time for any of the activities.  My advice: go to the activities that require a line-up first, then visit the museum and display airplanes.
  • Carry cash for entry fees as well as food and beverage or bring your own lunch.
  • Bring a stroller that travels well on grass...you'll be walking on it quite a bit.
  • If you have really young kids be sure to have some help.  The event was a lot bigger than I anticipated so I was grateful to have my mom with me - divide and conquer.




















https://www.bramptonflightcentre.com/

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g