Skip to main content

My new favourite winter sport

 
A couple years ago I invested in my first pair of snowshoes.  I didn't really put much thought into the whole idea, I just decided one day I wanted to try it.  I figured it would be a great way to stay active over the course of the winter, considering at the time I was pregnant with baby Jack. The last time I had gone snowshoeing was over 20 years ago when I attended a winter camp with my grade 6 class.  Back then we used those ginormous wooden ones, similar to the ones they used way back in the day.  Very different from the colourful, modern and lightweight versions you can purchase today.

I did very little research before making my purchase because after speaking with a couple friends, as well a few avid fans of the sport, I learned that in order to meet my snowshoeing needs I would be completely satisfied with a basic entry level pair.  I knew I would only be using them a few times a year and sticking to trails that were relatively easy to navigate.  All I really needed to know was my height and weight.  I didn't even have to go to the store to purchase them.  I ordered them online from SPORT CHEK and even got to choose one of my favourite colours.

Although I had good intentions that winter of getting outdoors and using them, life got busy.  Unfortunately my new pair of snowshoes arrived in a timely fashion, then sat in our basement (not even unwrapped) for nearly 2 years!  It wasn't until this past Christmas I decided it was time they make their debut.  Part of the problem was, I really didn't have anyone to go with and so over the holidays I mentioned the idea to my good friend and neighbour.  It seems my little pep talk regarding what a great sport snowshoeing is inspired her to have a conversation with her hubby.  Two weeks later I was standing on their front porch when the delivery truck arrived.  The driver dropped off a large parcel and to my surprise inside were two pairs of snowshoes.  My girlfriend and her hubby had both decided to make the investment.  I was so excited!  Finally I could pull mine out of storage and give them a whirl...and now I had someone to go with.

It was still weeks before we actually managed to set a date and time but on Family Day weekend we took advantage of the beautiful spring like weather and set out one morning for our first snowshoe of the season.  We honestly had such a great time but considering it was also our first time we learned a few valuable lessons along the way...

A few tips for beginners from beginners:
  • I wish I had done a trial run of putting my snowshoes on before hitting the trails.  My girlfriend didn't have any issues with hers but mine were a little tricky, not to mention being 5 months pregnant made the entire process even more challenging.  I'm sure a little practice (and minus the belly) will make things much easier next year.
  • We both decided to wear small ankle socks - what were we thinking?  Half way through our outing we were both laughing and complaining about our socks falling off but neither of us wanted to stop and make the necessary adjustments.  Next time I'll opt for a much more breathable pair and ones that sit higher on the leg.
  • We were also way over dressed!  You can really manage to work up a sweat while snowshoeing (not what I was expecting).  In addition it was already fairly warm that winter morning and on it's way to hitting the double digits.  Thank goodness for layers.  At least we were able to strip down a little.  To be honest, I think in the future I would dress very similar to how I dress when heading out for a run...which is not much (even on the coldest days).
  • My girlfriend brought with her a second set of poles which really came in handy on the hills (it was quite icy that morning).  Her and her hubby ordered their snowshoes as a package deal which included the poles.  I think next year I'll be investing in a pair.
 
 
With the warmer temperatures we've been experiencing the past couple weeks it seems unlikely we'll be able to get out again this season, but with our first attempt tried and accomplished, we'll be ready and eager for next winter!

The good news is if you are considering trying this sport for the first time and interested in making the investment - now is the time to do it.  Everywhere you search for snowshoes, you'll find end of season clearance pricing!  And you really don't have to spend much to get a decent pair and a good deal.  Below are a few sites where you can currently find some great sales.
 

 
 
 
 
Have a wonderful week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g