Skip to main content

Our Holiday Agenda

I couldn't wait another week to share this entry with family and friends.  Christmas is one of my favourite times of year and it's also the topic I chose to write about when I started writing my blog at the beginning of 2016.  Looking back over that entry I've realized that not much has changed...although my hubby and I are excited and eager to start some new traditions, old ones are sure to carry on making this year another season full of great memories, time spent with family and friends, and of course the opportunity share with my readers some great ideas and inspiration!

Here it is, our Holiday line-up...

Toronto Santa Claus Parade
We're definitely starting the season off right.  For the first time ever we'll be taking the kids down to Toronto for the 112th Annual Santa Claus Parade.  We'll be spending the entire weekend with Nana and Opa taking in the sights of the city and watching as Toronto lights up to become a Holiday Winter Wonderland.  Warm hot chocolate, some window shopping in Yorkville and watching those little faces light up as Santa arrives...I can hardly wait for the day to begin!  Hopefully the weather holds out, although we'll be close to the indoors should we need to warm-up.  Here is the link to the Parade's Homepage: http://www.thesantaclausparade.com/ - Be sure to check it out for up-to-date event info!


One of my favourite places in Toronto to take Hudson...the old Yorkville Firehall 

Family Christmas Photos
The following weekend we'll be doing our annual family Christmas Photos.  I always find this day so stressful...trying to coordinate 5 outfits, making sure my daughter actually wears the outfit I chose for her (such a challenging task), getting myself ready after worrying about everyone else, constantly checking the weather and trying to plan accordingly (we normally do our photos outside), meeting our photographer on time and finally making sure everyone looks at the camera at least once!  Regardless of how much time I spend worrying, our wonderful photographer always seems to capture the perfect image!  I am very grateful to Tim Smith from  http://www.shutterhead.ca/ for continuing to be our favourite family photographer for nearly 5 years.  I'm very excited about this year's shoot...and can't wait to share some of them with you!

One of my all time favourite photos!
Putting up the Christmas Tree
Five years ago we began the tradition of putting up a real tree.  I don't think I could ever go back to an artificial one...there is something so wonderfully inviting about the fresh scent of a real tree!  We'll be returning to Drysdale Tree Farm this season to continue this family tradition...I'm hoping for a 12 footer this year -ha!  We'll see if the hubby agrees.  Drysdale's is located in Egbert, Ontario, just south-west of Barrie.  It's definitely a bit of a hike, but so worth the drive!  In addition to the rows upon rows of beautiful trees, they also offer several activities for the entire family to get involved in.  The Evergreen Store and Gift Shop, train rides, face painting and horse-drawn wagon rides make it the perfect one-stop shop for all your Christmas tree needs!  Here is there website: http://www.drysdales.ca/seasonal_events.htm 


Elf on the Shelf
My hubby and I are finally jumping on the bandwagon this season and starting the tradition of Elf on the Shelf!  I don't know whose going to be more excited...me or the kids?  I'm definitely prepared - I've already done plenty of research thanks to Pinterest and a few very creative friends.  I think I'll have to dedicate an entire blog to our Christmas Elf and all of her exciting adventures -ha!


Advent Calendar
When Hudson was a toddler I handmade his first advent calendar.  Each morning he would run downstairs excited and eager to see what was in the little bag.  Usually a little gift I had purchased from the Dollar Store.  Needless to say it's become a little more challenging over the years as our family has expanded - even small gifts can become very pricey.  This is the first year all three children will be involved so I've decided to incorporate family activity cards in addition to a few small gifts.  For example, "Decorate Cookies" or "Go for a walk and see all the Christmas lights"...the ideas are endless and time together is always priceless!



Bolton Santa Claus Parade and Christmas shopping locally
This is an event that has been taking place for as long as I can remember.  The kids are always excited to head Downtown Bolton for this annual celebration.  It's a coming together of community members and a way to welcome in the festive season.  This year I plan on getting a little Christmas shopping done too.  Several new shops have popped up around town this past year and I'm eager to check out what they have in stock for the holiday season.  Shopping locally is always a good thing!


Kortright Centre Magical Christmas Forest
In December we're getting together with our neighbours and taking all the kids to the Kortright Centre for their Holiday Christmas event.  Kortright is an outdoor educational facility located in Maple, Ontario.  Throughout the year they offer a wide variety of educational programs and experiences for children and their families.  Their Magical Christmas Forest is sure to be a hit...an evening filled with crafts, activities, treats for entire family and the opportunity to meet the big guy himself - each family is given a scheduled time to meet with Santa.  Unfortunately tickets for this season are already sold out but be sure to check out their website for up-coming events and information: http://kortright.org/


Sometimes I feel like the Holidays get so busy...and by the time everything is done and ready the season is over.  As much as I love to stay busy, I've learned that doing nothing can sometimes be just as rewarding.  One of my most fond Christmas memories is cuddling up on the couch and watching "White Christmas" with my mom.  Despite the chaos of this holiday season, my hubby and I promise to share many similar moments with our own family this Christmas!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g