Skip to main content

Haunted Hill Run Race Review



The Event Itself
The weekend before Halloween my entire family participated in the Haunted Hill 5K and 10K run which takes place in our little home town of Bolton, Ontario.  It seems I have a lot of favourite races but once again this one comes out on top.  It's hosted by our very own Bolton Rotary, with all proceeds going to local and international charities as well as the Rotary itself.  It offers 3 separate race events - a 5K, a 10K and for the first time this year C3 (Canadian Cross Training Club) teamed up with race organizers and hosted a free 1 mile run for children and their families.  In addition, this event is also known for its pretty awesome post-run party, complete with music, an awards ceremony, free lunch and lots of yummy treats...and the best part -  the celebration takes place inside one of the local high schools so there's no concern about trying to warm up after the run.  It also offers a comfortable meeting place for athletes and spectators before and during events.

Course Description
Both the 5K and 10K begin at 9:30am sharp on the North Hill of Bolton, directly in front of the local high school.  The start line and finish line are the same for both events, however runners participating in the longer event must be sure to follow the 10K route early on in the race.  The course route is well marked with pylons and several volunteers directing participants as well as traffic. 

This year I ran the 10K race.  The first 6K are fairly flat looping in and out of quiet neighbourhood streets.  The majority of the route is very open and offers plenty of space for runners to either walk or pass.  Participants are asked to stay off to the side when running on the open roads in order to allow for regular traffic to pass.  Around the 3K mark you'll begin the 1.5K stretch across Columbia Way before disappearing for a short period of time into the ravine.  At this point the path becomes very narrow with a few hills, however it is still paved underfoot.  Runners are then directed back into the neighbourhood where they are greeted by several volunteers and fans cheering them on...but it's not over yet, you still have about 4K left to go!  The good news - you now begin the gradual decline towards King Road.  Take advantage of this downhill decent because the final 2.5K will take you back through the ravine, but this time you'll be faced with several hills and very slippery conditions - a challenging finish to say the least.   Once you enter the trails you'll find yourself in an overall steady climb towards the finish line but keep it up - what's encouraging is that the final few hundred meters are very flat, surrounded by volunteers and family members applauding your efforts.  You did it!

The 5K race is very similar to the 10K.  Runners begin their journey through the same neighbourhood streets of the North Hill.  At the 1.5K mark their route follows the same path the 10K runners finish on.  Both distances offer a challenging race for participants of all ages and abilities.

Training, Gear and Nutrition
This is my second year competing in the run.  One thing I've notice is that there is much more competition in the 5K race because there are many more participants.  However this year I was happy to see more runners participating in the 10K event.  I am often asked if this is a good race for those competing in their first run.  The answer is Yes!  Although the course is fairly challenging, the overall event is very fun, exciting and offers a variety of things to look forward to after the race - not to mention some pretty great prizes for those finishing in the top 3 of their age category.  I would however recommend some hill training unless of course you plan on walking the course - which several participants do opt for.

What to wear? - get those Halloween costumes ready...this is one of the reasons I love this event so much!  The majority of runners will be decked out, head to toe in some pretty amazing costumes.  Should you choose to forgo the costume, participants are asked to wear their race shirts (which by the way were very pink this year - I LOVE pink!).  Be sure to go up a size - they are made very small.

This year I dressed as Cat Girl and my sister-in-law was Robin.  Last year we went with an 80's workout theme.  I try to stick to costumes that are a little more runner friendly but that's not the case with everyone...I spotted a man wearing a full dinosaur costume - what a trooper!  Although I think it slowed him down quite a bit.

In regards to nutrition and post-run treats...there are plenty of goodies to look forward to.  Participants and spectators can enjoy a warm bowl of chili, hot chocolate or coffee compliments of Tim Hortons.  In addition, your race kits are packed full of chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate.  Not exactly the healthiest assortment of post-run snacks but yummy nonetheless.

Some Personal Thoughts
Unfortunately the weather this year was far from ideal.  There was a light rain falling for pretty much the entire morning.  Normally I love running in the rain but that day was very different.  The final stretch of the race which takes you through the trails was extremely challenging due to the fact that it was almost impossible to run at a steady pace up and down the hills.  There had been so much rainfall that morning, that several of the hills had become very dangerous for running on...I often found myself walking along the side in order to avoid falling.  I regret not wearing my proper trail shoes, but I was hesitant because the majority of the race takes place on the open road. 
On a brighter note, I was delighted with the addition of the 1 mile event for children...and despite the horrible weather conditions my little guys had a great time competing in the race.  Hudson had been fighting a cold and not feeling himself, but he managed to finish strong with a little extra encouragement from mommy.  This was Georgia's first race and she loved it!  My hubby and I were very proud of both our little stars.










In my eyes getting active and being outdoors makes everyday a little brighter...doing it with family and friends makes it even better!  Hope to see you on the course next year.

Enjoy the rest of your week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g