Skip to main content

Race season is officially underway...

My family on Race Day at the Ugly Sweater Run.

Just the title alone gets me excited!  For those who don't know me, running is one of my greatest joys.  As a teenager I played every team sport imaginable...including cross-country and track and field.  However it wasn't until I turned 25, that I was introduced to running as I do it today.  I was at the finish line when my Aunt Joanne finished a 10k race on her 60th birthday.  Something about that day...the energy coming from the sidelines, the excitement and anticipation of her finish and the sheer look of accomplishment, gleaming from her face as she crossed the finish line!  I had to experience more.  That winter I began training...running 2kms was a challenge for me, but within 5 months I finished my first 10k race.  Following the race, I had what some might describe as a "runners high" - and I wanted more!  I looked into other races and set my goals high.  I decided I was ready for a half marathon.  And so the training began.  I trained all summer, 5-6/week.  Three weeks prior to race day I met a dear friend, drank too much wine with her and convinced myself I could ran a full marathon - ha!  There was no turning back after that night...race day quickly approached and despite my lack of physical preparation, I knew in my heart I could do it.  It took me just over 4 1/2 hours but I ran every km of the 42.2km race!
 
My Aunt Joanne after her race - I was so inspired!

At the finish line after my first full Marathon.
 
Celebrating our first 10k race finish!

At the Sporting Life 10k with my coach and his youngest daughter.

Fast forward nearly 10 years and I have run well over 50 races all over North America, I have completed 4 full marathons, several half marathons, numerous smaller races and most recently I completed my first half IRONMAN.  I have coached running, been an Ambassador for lululemon, organized run clubs in many communities and trained, as well as raced, through all 3 of my pregnancies.  But through it all - I've never won.  My collection of participation medals clearly outnumbers my podium finishes...and that's ok.  I run because I love running.  I could list an endless amount of reasons why it's my go to activity almost everyday, but that's not why I'm writing this post.  Race season is finally underway and I couldn't be more excited.  Last year, was a short season for me as I gave birth to our 3rd child in May.  This year I'm eager to get back at it and crush some running goals!

Here's what's on my race schedule for 2016 and why I've chosen these races.  Being a wife, a busy mom of 3 and heading back to work in a couple months, means my race schedule must cater to those people most important in my life - my family!  Here's the line-up for 2016:

Sporting Life 10k - May 8th, 2016

This is my all time favourite race and the first race I ever ran!  Last year baby Jackson was only 4 days old so unfortunately I didn't get to run.  All the more reason I can't wait to be a part of it this year!
At Sporting Life 10k with my hubby post race!
 
My course record!

At the finish line with one of my besties!
Why I love it:
  • you're running for a great cause (kids with cancer)
  • registration fee is very affordable plus they give you back a good chunk of the fee in the form of a Sporting Life gift card
  • it's all down hill with the exception of one tiny hill
  • I get to run with my hubby and Uncle (I actually get to beat them every year -ha!)
  • so much excitement!  great volunteers and lots of music along the way!
  • their finisher medal has always been really nice!  great race shirts too - ones that actually fit a female body!
Why it's just OK:
  • it's one of the biggest races is Canada so you can expect huge crowds of people at the start and finish...it's hard to pass people at the beginning and hard to get through the crowds at the end
  • they don't allow running strollers which mean we need to find a babysitter x3
  • it's on Mother's Day (I actually don't mind but my extended family does)
  • unpredictable weather


Kinetico Caledon Kids of Steele Triathlon - May 29, 2016

This race was where I competed in my first triathlon and placed 1st in my division!  I've been eager to try this one again and can hardly wait for my kids to reach an age where they feel ready and willing to get involved.

My biggest fans...a kiss just before crossing the finish line!
Why I love it:
  • it's local (makes it easy for my family to watch)
  • it's offers greats race options for all levels of athletes, including beginners
  • prizes offered in many age divisions (which means you're more likely to place!)
  • kids as young as 3 can race!
  • lots of space for spectators (friends and family)
  • swim portion takes place in a pool (which is where most people do their training)
Why it's just OK:
  • it takes place during a very busy time of year (for me personally)
  • repetitive course route
  • a staggered start which means it's difficult to judge who you're racing against
  • a long awards ceremony - sometimes the family doesn't want to stick around especially if it cuts into nap time


Gravenhurst Triathlon - July 16th and 17th, 2016

This is one I've never done but I've heard so many great things about it and I'm eager to give it a shot!  Based on the information I've gathered, here are some of my thoughts...

At the Muskoka 1/2 IRONMAN!  I love this girl...she's such an inspiration!
Why I love it:
  • there are several great events to choose from - a distance for everyone!
  • the route is probably very scenic considering it's in the heart of one of my favourite places - Muskoka!
  • it's a weekend event!
  • great expo and activities all weekend
Why it's just OK:
  • travel time to get there plus travel expenses (food, accommodation etc...) - it becomes a very expensive weekend!
  • it would be a challenge to bring my family and they are my biggest fans (they are my motivation to cross that finish line!)
  • to be honest - I may have to do this race on my own!


Mud Hero - August 27th, 2016

This is an event I'm really excited about because I've never done anything like it.  My husband and I are planning on doing this one together.  We've run several races together, but this one is different because you really have to rely on each other to help you through the obstacles.  We've heard some great things about this race too - so here are some of our thoughts...

Why we love it:
  • it's literally just up the street from us!
  • the course is only 6k so my hubby can get away with very little training
  • they have a kids event! ...and if your child is 4 or 5 you must run with them (at no cost) - how fun is that?!
  • the obstacles are not mandatory in order to finish - but I love a little competition so there will be no "backing out"!
  • my hubby and I get to finish together - guess I can't beat him this time -ha!
  • they have beer at the finish line - that's a big motivation for my hubby!
  • and lots of activities for the entire family!
Why it's just OK:
  • we need a babysitter for all 3 munchkins!
  • as far as I'm concerned that's the only problem I have (but I'll be sure to do a update post race day)


Don Olson Classic - Date TBA, 2016 (early October)

This is another one of my favourites.  My good friend and coach from 310 Running started organizing this race 6 years ago.  Since then it has changed names in honour of one of our mutual friends who passed away in 2013.  Today the race raises money for the Bethell Hospice Foundation.  This reason alone is a great incentive but there are many reasons why I would recommend it.
 
And the race begins...

Finished strong! With my sister-in-law - 2 podium finishes!
 
Pre-race with my hubby.
Why I love it:
  • it's another local event!
  • very reasonable entry fees
  • tons of great prices in all age divisions
  • the race is capped at 400 which means your chances of placing are pretty good!
  • it's a beautiful trail run
  • 5k course - great for all levels
  • good food and great volunteers!
  • family friendly
  • they have a 2.5k course for kids
  • later in the day start times (you can sleep in a little)
Why it's just Ok:
  • it's on a Saturday (my husband is always working) - therefore I'm always looking for a babysitter
  • unpredictable weather but running through the trails means you're often protected from the elements
  • the 5k course is a 2.5k loop (completed 2x) - a little repetitive


Bolton Rotary Haunted Hill Run 5k and 10k - Date TBA (late October)

I was introduced to this run by my sister-in-law 2 years ago.  We ran it together last fall and it was my first race back, after baby Jackson was born.  We had a blast and I'm looking forward to being a part of it again this year!
 
2 more podium finishes!  Check out our 70s get up!
Why I love it:
  • It's in my neighborhood!  I literally rolled out of bed, breastfed my son and walked to the start line!
  • it offers 2 events - 5k and 10k with several prizes in all age divisions
  • you get to dress up! - it's just before Halloween
  • the finish line is at one of the local high schools so when you're done the race you get to head inside for a yummy lunch, timmies (coffee) and live music in a very family friendly atmosphere - not to mention it's warm!
  • lots of parking
Why it's just OK:
  • the 10k event didn't have many runners, therefore the competition was lacking and sometimes you feel like you're the only one on the course - that being said, in the final few kms I ran with a few runners who definitely helped me to stay on pace and finish strong!
  • the final 2k of the course are run on the trails which are quite hilly


So there's my line-up for 2016!  I'll be sure to post up-dates on these and other races I enter!  Now time to log off, shut-down and go for a run! 
 
"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going"
-Beverly Sill



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g