Skip to main content

The Tradition Continues at Blue




We continued our tradition this year and headed up to Blue Mountain over the Christmas break, although it almost didn’t happen for a number of reasons.  It seemed like nothing was going our way… then thankfully in the final hours everything fell into place (like it was meant to be).  But we only had a few hours left to get ready!  Friday morning arrived bright and early and the kiddies were beyond excited, which made trying to leave our home even more challenging.  Regardless we managed to get out the door in good time and upon arrival we were ready and eager to begin our day.  Everything went as smoothly as could be.

In my last blog I mentioned how sometimes I get feeling a little down after the holidays and ringing in the new year has never brought me much joy…but spending the day at Blue Mountain with my family, one of my besties and our neighbours was exactly what I needed to kick start the new year.

Some highlights from our day:

So the worst part of the trip was our drive up (and it wasn’t even that bad).  I had to sit in backseat with all the kids which would have been absolutely fine, if Irelynn didn’t have me in her direct line of sight.  She wined almost the entire way because she couldn’t be with me.  It was like “I see you, so I want to be with you” and “if I can’t be, then I'm going to cry about it”.  It wasn't until I hid behind the chair for the rest of the car ride that she finally calmed down...10 minutes later we arrived and all was better.  The sun was shining, the temperature was already above zero and we snagged a great parking spot.  We got the kiddies dressed and headed to the tubing hills for our first adventure of the day.  This year our family had a blast (probably a combination of everyone being a little older and the weather was perfect).  They actually lasted the entire hour and Irelynn kept busy at the bottom of the hill waving to us and munching on veggie straws.  She also had fun being pulled around on the tubes (when they weren’t in use). 

After tubing we decided to head for lunch.  A group of skiers were friendly enough to share their picnic table with us so that we could all sit down.  It was absolutely beautiful outside, the sun was still shining and there wasn’t a cloud in sight.  We enjoyed our lunch with our jackets off and sunglasses on!  Luckily I brought sunscreen.  Sitting at the bottom of the hill and watching all the skiers made me realize how much I missed skiing.  It had been years since I last went.  What made the moment even better was the interest our kids began to show.  They all happily agreed they were ready to try skiing and that made me really excited.  I grew up skiing with both my mom and my dad, and the idea of doing it with my own family is something I’ve been looking forward to for years.  Since our return from Blue Mountain a couple weeks ago I’ve been on a mission to make this happen!

After lunch we did a some shopping in the village.  I felt the need to buy a new hat (my little addiction), after all the one I brought with me fell in a puddle, so I really had no choice –right?).  And of course I wanted to check out the Hatley store.  All of their Christmas stuff was 60 percent of!
Hatley Store Online

We headed to the pool for swimming around 3pm and Irelynn managed to fall asleep in her snowsuit at exactly that time.  She hung out in the stroller with daddy while my girlfriend and I took the other 3 swimming.  Last year we spent almost the entire swim time indoors because it was so cold, but this year we got to enjoy everything outdoors.  They had a hot tub, two small waterslides, basketball nets, a diving platform and a Tarzan rope.  Hudson and Georgia both passed their swim test (which was amazing because Georgia had never swam that distance in her life!) and Jackson was perfectly content wearing his floating device.  I actually got to enjoy myself this year...play with the kids, relax in the hot tub and go down the water slide - It was amazing!  Irelynn woke up just as we were getting out of the pool (perfect timing), and we avoided a major meltdown while en route to dinner with a quick stop at the candy shop! 

After our meal we took some pictures, grabbed a few warm beverages for the drive back, packed up the car and headed home.  Two out of four kids were fast asleep before we even left the resort and it didn’t take long for the others to follow suit.

And there you have it…a perfect day!




















For more Info: Blue Mountain


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g