Skip to main content

Kids of Steele Triathlon



At the end of May, our kids participated in their first triathlon.  The event was hosted by the Canadian Cross Training Club C3 and offered races for all ages and abilities.  The youngest participants were 3 years old.  It wasn't my first time at the event but so much had changed since I competed back in 2010 and again in 2011 (while I was 5 months pregnant with my oldest son Hudson).  I was actually really excited not only to be making a return to the world of triathlons (it had been nearly 4 years since my last one), but even more so....I couldn't wait to race alongside my kids!

My kids are the reason I decided to sign up myself.  My last triathlon was in 2014 when I competed in the Muskoka Half Ironman.  It truly was one of the most exciting races I have ever done.  I trained 6 days a week for nearly 5 months and just weeks before the race I found out I was pregnant.  Needless to say I was a little concerned about racing, but as soon as I was given the ok but my doctor, I decided I wasn't going to back down.  My time was much slower than I had hoped for but regardless I finished the race!  Even more exciting was hearing my name as I crossed the finish line and the announcement that I was running for 2!  That's how we officially told our family and friends who were attending the race that we were pregnant and expecting our 3rd.  I even received 2 medals at the finish line - one for me and one for baby Minderlein.  Talk about a runner's high...I felt like I was on cloud 9 and already I was making plans for my next race.  Fast forward 3 1/2 years and two more kids, my bike was collecting more dust than mileage.  But deep down I missed it so much and it wasn't until this past winter when I received an email from C3 notifying me of the upcoming triathlon.  Well, it didn't take much convincing nor did it take me very long.  That evening I signed up myself as well as our two kids.  All children between the ages of 3 to 6 were able to participate in the non-competitive races.  Basically this means they weren't timed.  Each child participated at his or her own pace with the option of racing alongside a parent or other adult.

The Muskoka Half IRONMAN September 2014

All in all the Kids of Steele Tiathlon was amazing!  I'm always talking about how much I love finding events that are family friendly and encourage an active lifestyle...well this one for sure comes out on top.  For a very reasonable price my kids all received a race shirt, swim cap, finishers medal and a toy at the finish line.  Most importantly they had fun, so much fun I'm confident they'll be eager to participate again next year.  Except maybe my oldest...next year he'll be expected to step it up a notch and participate in the youngest competitive division.  He's a little nervous at the moment, but I'm sure with a little practice and convincing I'll have him race ready in no time.

My only disappointmemt about the entire day was that my kids weren't able to watch my race.  The only reason I initially signed up was so they could see what it was like to compete in a triathlon.  Unfortunately my race time was too early in the morning.  I drove to the race on my own, bright and early that day, feeling exhausted, physically unprepared and regretting my decision.  Thankfully it didn't take long for that mindset to take a positive spin.  As I headed to the transition zone (where you leave your bike), I started setting up and immediately I connected with a few of the women I was competing against.  We quickly exchanged a few race stories, shared our anxieties and headed to the start line feeling a little more confident and excited.

I'm not sure what the best part was, watching my kids cross the finish line or finishing myself.  Regardless I think we all benefitted from the day's events...my kids were introduced to a new sport, I can't wait to start training for my next one and even my hubby wants to take a go at it next year!  Some photos from the day...

Mayfield Recreation Complex, Caledon

The Transition Zone





They weren't too fond of the swim caps...my oldest son wouldn't even try it on!


It was so great being able to help both of them.

Jack learned how to ride his bike only two weeks before the race!





Other tips and info...

  • Don't hesitate to sign up your entire family.  I was worried about allowing Jack (our 3 year old) to participate but the race directors encouraged and allowed me to sign him up on race day.  They put him in the same wave as my daughter which meant I could race alongside both of them at the same time.  My oldest son was first to race, which allowed me to help him and then return to help my other 2 kids.  My husband got to watch from the sidelines with our youngest and cheer the kiddies on.
  • The non-competitive race allows even 3 year olds to be successful.  Parents, life jackets, water wings, training wheels...you name it - it's allowed!
  • The adult race includes a relay option for those participants not ready to take on all three areas. 
  • The new location offers a full size pool, a 15k out and back cycle course on very flat terrain and a more challenging 5km loop course for the running portion.  I say challenging because the terrain was quite uneven and offered no shaded areas.  It was also very repetitive which I find can be mentally difficult especially during a longer race.  Thankfully this triathlon was a shorter distance.
  • A meal is provided after the race for all participants but non-participants can purchase their lunch too for a small fee.  Be sure to bring cash.  Parking is free and lockers are available in the changerooms.
  • Don't forget bike helmets, lots of sunscreen, flip flops, running shoes, a change of clothes and at least two adults especially if you have young children.

For more information on C3 and other events be sure to check out the link below:

http://c3online.ca/

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g