Skip to main content

Our Christmas Family Photos

 
 
It's that time of year again for our annual family Christmas photoshoot.  A few years ago we were introduced through my hubby's grandparents to Drysdale Tree Farm.  It is located just south of Barrie which made it the ideal location to do our Christmas photos.  Our family photographer Tim Smith owns his own photography company in Barrie, so we often make the trip up his way in order to avoid having to pay mileage in addition to his fees.  Our photos turned out so great the first year that we've continued to return to the farm every year since...and we've never been let down. 

This year in particular I was so excited about our photos.  Not only did we get a beautiful dusting of snow just hours before the shoot but for the first time ever we had our photos taken as a family of 6.  Unfortunately we opted to not bring our 90 pound golden doodle...and I certainly did not regret that decision.  Although the tree farm looked like a beautiful winter wonderland covered with freshly fallen snow - under that lurked a thick and mushy layer of mud.  And knowing our dog, he would have been covered head to tail in mud before the photos were even taken.

This year we did things a little differently and surprisingly everything worked out.  We normally do our photos first thing in the morning in order to avoid any major toddler meltdowns, instead we decided to schedule our time slot for the afternoon which gave us the entire morning to get organized and ready.  As for napping...our 2 and 4 year old definitely still need a nap some days and thankfully they both fell asleep in the car.  As for the actual shoot, we only had 45 minutes with our photographer because he was booked back to back.  I was a little concerned that it wouldn't be enough time.  The kids were cold and constantly complaining about it so we had to stop several times to allow them to warm up inside.  I was feeling pretty frustrated and worried that our photos wouldn't turn out as I had hoped, but of course I was pleasantly surprised when Tim sent us the preview.  He had done such a great job as usual.  To be honest I couldn't narrow it down...I loved them all!
 
One of my favourite things about working with Tim is that he always gives you full access to your edited photos...meaning you can do whatever you would like with them.  There is never any added costs and you don't have to purchase any prints.  He gives you a pre-determined number of edited photos in colour as well as black and white.  He also sends you two sizes of each photo - one for online use and a higher quality option for print.
 
This Christmas we used quite a few of the photos on our family Christmas cards and we also plan on framing a few in order to hang them (I'm seriously the worst when it comes to hanging photos!).  It was the greatest feeling seeing our family together for the first time in a photo - and we're all looking!  I decided to use https://www.shutterfly.com/ and https://www.vistaprint.ca/ to make our Holiday cards this year.  I'm always torn with which company to use because I like them both and in the past I've been equally satisfied with their services.  The only comment I'll make is that I do like the card options that Shutterfly offers a little better - but they're also more pricey.  In the end I went with both companies and split the shipping costs with a friend.  I ordered a smaller amount of cards from Shutterfly to give to our immediate family (and I included a ton of photos!).  I also went with a very nice option through Vistaprint and ordered several more to give to friends.  The combined costs were reasonable and I managed to order them in time for Black Friday so I got to take advantage of all the sale offers - so worth it!  As for shipping...my Vistaprint cards arrived very quickly and they look great!  I'm expecting the ones from Shutterfly to arrive any day...fingers crossed.
 
Here is a preview of our Christmas photoshoot...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Our good friends and neighbours did their photos at Drysdale too!  We had to ask Tim for at least one group shot.
 
 
Have a wonderful week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g