Skip to main content

Haunted Hill Run



At Halloween our family took part in the Bolton Rotary Haunted Hill Run.  This event has become an annual tradition for our family and this year marked the first year my entire family was able to participate - even baby Irelynn got in on the action.  For a complete race review you can check out my blog from last year: http://creativelyk.blogspot.ca/2016/11/haunted-hill-run-race-review.html 

The first event of the day was the kids 1 miler.  So originally I envisioned us all finishing the race together (one big happy family)...but that's not exactly how it happened -ha!  We stood together at the start line but when the gun signaled the start of the race Hudson took off before I could even wish him good luck.  He finished the run in record time and took pride in knowing he had beat every single member of our family.  Georgia finished strong not far behind.  Even Irelynn received her first race medal as I pushed her across the finish line in the running stroller.  Last but not least little Jack came around the corner with Dad at his side.  Jack insisted on running the entire race by himself, dressed in an airplane costume and rain boots.  He was officially the last kid to finish the race but regardless it was such a memorable moment for our family...there he was looking as cute as ever, struggling to run in his boots but determined to finish without any help, and there cheering him on were all of the participants, their families and the event coordinators.  When he finally did cross the finish line he gave me a big hug and told me he was tired - it was one of those mom moments I'll never forget.

Following the kids race, the 5 and 10k events started right on schedule at 10am sharp.  All morning I was feeling excited and eager...the weather was perfect and I felt well rested after taking most of the week off in order to recover from my half-marathon the Sunday prior.  Despite my enthusiasm I was exhausted by the 8k mark and almost stopped to take break.  That's when I decided to give myself a little mental pep talk, which was just enough to push me through the final 2k (it also happens to be the toughest part of the run!).  I struggled on the last hill but finished fast through the final straightaway.  Although I didn't break my previous record, I finished 3rd female overall.  I was very excited considering my training had only begun 6 weeks prior and baby Irelynn was still only 3 months old.  It definitely gave me the motivation to start considering my next big race early in the new year!  I'm currently making the final arrangements in order to register - big goals ahead!

The best part about this run is being able to do it with so many friends and family members...and of course the fact that the start line is literally just around the corner from my house (I have no excuse not to run it).  This year was great because I encouraged quite a few families to come out and join in on the festivities.  I also had the opportunity to catch up with some fellow runners, as well as meet some new ones.  I'm always so inspired by others and their running accomplishments...it's they who set the standard towards what I'm always trying to achieve.

Here are some photo highlights from the event, courtesy of all the wonderful volunteers who took the time to capture these moments...











This young man finished first overall in the 5k event - four years in a row!  A-M-A-Z-I-N-G  And I had the honour of coaching him when he was 7!






Have a wonderful week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g