Skip to main content

Welcome Irelynn Grace

SECONDS AFTER BIRTH AND THE FIRST TIME I HELD HER
 

Irelynn Grace arrived on Canada's 150th Birthday.  Jordan and I will officially be sharing our Wedding Anniversary with our little girl for the rest of our lives.  July 1st of this year also marked our 5th Anniversary as husband and wife and while we didn't have time this year to acknowledge the celebration, we instead were blessed with the most precious gift...our second baby girl.

Looking back over the past year, even before I became pregnant there were so many thoughts running through my mind in regards to having a fourth child.  After one of my best girlfriends and her husband welcomed their 3rd child on Canada Day last year, I often thought to myself how perfect that would be if it ever happened to us.  At the time I wasn't even pregnant so I knew the chances of it happening were slim to say the least.  Fast forward a few months and we were overjoyed to find out that we were expecting our 4th...and to make things even more exciting, he or she was expected to arrive just in time for Canada Day.  So there it was again...that thought, that possibility that we would become a family of 6 on the same day we got married 5 years ago.  But still, I knew the chances (although better) were still just a slight possibility. 

For the next nine months we prepared for his or her arrival.  In February, we were thrilled to find out I was pregnant with another little girl.  It seemed our growing family was now truly complete.

Before we knew it, it was June and her due date was just weeks away.  Months of anticipating her arrival soon turned to days.  My official due date: June 27th.  Unfortunately I was experiencing absolutely no signs of early labour.  The following morning I met with my doctor and he encouraged me to consider an induction on June 30th, due to minor complications I had been dealing with in the weeks prior.  I was hesitant to book the appointment.  However, he said that if I changed my mind I had until that evening to cancel.  My routine tests that day showed our little lady was happy and continuing to thrive inside my belly, which lead me to believe allowing her to stay put for the time being was best for both of us.  Nevertheless I hummed and hawed that entire afternoon about the possibility of being induced and although I was ready and eager to meet her, the thought of planning a scheduled arrival made me feel very uneasy.  I had already been induced once before and the entire experience was one I'll never forget.  Our third born came into this world very quickly.  He was born not breathing and as a result he had lost all colour and his body was limp. It was horrifying to say the least...laying there thinking my little boy wasn't going to make it.  There were several events that day that could have and should have been done differently but in the end, all that mattered was that he survived. 

Looking backing over that day was all I needed to make my decision.  That evening, I cancelled my appointment and was feeling very content knowing this baby would arrive when she was good and ready.  As a result of the cancelation, my doctor scheduled me for another routine check-up on Canada Day.  For the next 36 hours nothing changed.  I thought to myself it was going to be days before she arrived, then on Friday morning I began having contractions, although they were very inconsistent and far apart.  They continued into the evening and through the night, although I was still able to get a fairly good night sleep.  I woke up on Canada Day feeling the same and was very excited for the day's festivities.  We had plans to go for a barbeque and take the kiddies to see the fireworks for their first time...but first I had my appointment.  I quickly got dressed, grabbed my purse, kissed the family goodbye and headed to the hospital.  I had every intention of being home within a couple hours.

I checked in at the front desk and made my way down to the Maternity.  Within minutes I was hooked up to wires and the baby monitoring had began.  Everything seemed great...perfect I thought to myself, now they'll let me go home.  Then the nurse, under my doctor's orders decided it would best to do an internal exam in order to determine whether anything was happening.  Then it happened, the one thing I never thought would..."You're not going home anytime soon, this baby is coming today" she happily announced as I sat there in disbelief.  I told her to check again but she insisted it was only a matter of hours before we would meet our little girl. 

After I had chance to gather my thoughts I called my husband immediately and told him the news.  "We're going to have a Canada Day baby", I told him before even saying hello.  His response was literally, "Are you kidding me?".  I think in that moment, we both couldn't believe it was actually happening and yet it didn't matter, we didn't have time for discussion.  I just told him to hurry up and get there.

My mother and husband arrived not long after with all of our bags and belongings.  My labour was progressing quickly and although I had planned to forgo the epidural, I began to experience labour pains like never before.  Needless to say I quickly changed my mind and asked for the epidural, but unfortunately after several attempts it was unsuccessful.  The anesthesiologist offered to try once again but by then it was too late.  Our little girl made her entrance within minutes...she came out screaming and I got to hold her immediately.  I can't even begin to describe the overwhelming feelings of love, relief and excitement that circulated throughout the room.  She was finally here, strong and healthy.

I suppose some things really are meant to be...and if you didn't think that before maybe now you do, especially after hearing our story.  It was almost too good to be true...Irelynn Grace arrived at 5:10pm on Canada Day and our 5th Wedding Anniversary.  She was also 1 of 5 babies born at the hospital that day.  My sister-in-law pointed out that 5 might just be her lucky number;)

She is now almost 2 weeks old and we have been home since July 2nd.  It has been a wonderful, crazy, chaotic, stressful, tiring and memorable couple of weeks.  Every day gets a little easier but no day has been easy.  Life will never again be easy but it will forever be full of love, adventure, excitement and chaos...just the way I like it.

Here are some of the images from our first days together as a family of six...

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
MEETING HIS 4TH GREAT-GRANDCHILD FOR THE FIRST TIME
 
99 YEARS OLD HOLDING IRELYNN GRACE WHO WAS NOT EVEN A DAY OLD
 
 
A LITTLE CANADA DAY TREAT FROM THE HOSPITAL STAFF
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
AS MY HUBBY AND I LEFT THE HOSPITAL WE BOTH LOOKED BACKED OVER THE PAST 6 YEARS AND EXCHANGED FOND MEMORIES OF ALL OF OUR HOSPITAL STAYS DOWN THIS HALLWAY.  WE HAVE BEEN BLESSED WITH 4 BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN AND WE ARE GRATEFUL TO ALL THE HOSPITAL STAFF WHO HAVE BEEN A PART OF THIS JOURNEY.  I LITERALLY STOOD THERE ALMOST IN TEARS AND WATCHED AS THE DOORS CLOSED MARKING THE END OF AN ERA FOR MY HUSBAND AND I...BUT ALSO THE BEGINNING OF A NEW ADVENTURE. 

Have a wonderful weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Grandpa on his 100th Birthday

    On Sunday my grandfather turned 100 and we had a beautiful celebration.  I promise to post photos from the event once they are ready...I can hardly wait to see them!  Today I decided to share my speech completely unaltered.  If it sounds like I'm talking, it's because I literally recorded myself talking to myself about my grandpa...then I typed out what I said - almost word for word.  It truly helped me to speak from the heart and talk about the memories I'll have forever...   For my grandpa on his 100 th birthday…   My grandfather was born on February 18 th , 1918…fast forward about 64 years, and that’s when I came into the picture.   And that’s where I’m going to start.   My grandfather has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember.   At a very young age my mom and I moved into a neighbourhood in North Mississauga.   Not long after my grandparents moved into their home just one street over.   They were always right around the corne
Alzheimer's Disease is death before death, and I'm terrified of it." - Joey Comeau I wrote this entire entry last Sunday during my 5 hour train ride... Once again I'm on board VIA Rail train 65 to Toronto Union from Dorval, Quebec.  For my friends and family who follow my accounts through social media, it appears that I am returning home from a fun-filled weekend away - no kids, a little shopping, plenty of good food, morning runs along the St. Lawrence, non-alcoholic wine and loads of good conversation.  Not to mention this was the first time in over 5 years that I've left home and my family to be on my own for a few days.  But below the surface and behind all the charming photos, this weekend had much more meaning and significance than I ever could have imagined...For the first time in 7 years I went to visit my father. I never wanted to make this trip alone and nor did I intend on waiting so long.  I should have done it years prior but the timing

Tasca Park

    A couple weeks ago it was a beautiful Sunday morning and all I wanted to do was pack up the car with the entire family and head out to enjoy the day.  I was thinking something really fun - like heading to Center Island.  The reality was we were completely unprepared for any kind of outing...especially one that required planning ahead and being organized.  Instead we decided to save our Island adventure for another day (maybe even another year -ha!) and got to work cleaning up some things around the house.  All those really boring things I hate doing on a Sunday, but those are the same things you're grateful you did when Monday morning rolls around.    By the afternoon we were feeling ready and prepped for the week ahead but I still had that desire to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.  My hubby and I decided to throw the diaper bag in the car, fill up the water bottles and head out to one of the local parks in Caledon.  We really had no idea where we were g